The eye contact

It was a bright sunny morning when the two medical students frowned because they had to join the classes after the holidays. Their 4th year BHMS started a month back and soon Rakshabandhan holidays were given for a week for students to visit their home.

Zahra couldn't join the classes back then because of her father's demise.

Qizra was more excited than Zahra for her to join the classes.

And as usual, Zahra did wake up late but got ready soon and walked downstairs to have her breakfast.

BiJaan smiled.

" Assalamualaikum BiJaan... "

" Walaikum assalam. Have breakfast. I have made an egg omelet and there is toasted bread. " BiJaan said and passed her the plate having egg omelet.

" Shaizaan woke up early. He is waiting for you in car. " BiJaan informed as she took the first bite.

" I'll eat the breakfast in car. He might for long, right? "

" No need. Have breakfast first. " Zahra nodded and ate her breakfast in next 5 minutes.

" I am going, BiJaan. " Zahra informed as she saw BiJaan walking out of the kitchen with a tray of two big glasses of chocolate milkshake.

" Have this and then leave... " BiJaan said.

" Sorry BiJaan. I am full now. I'll leave or else I'll get late for college... "

BiJaan looked at Zahra and then nodded.

" Okay. " BiJaan smiled and gave her a hug.

Zahra smiled and walked towards the car. She saw Shaizaan talking to someone on his phone. She smiled and was about to sit in front when Qizra waved her hand from inside the car, seated on the passenger seat.

Zahra smiled awkwardly and entered the car and seated just behind Shaizaan as Qizra pointed her to sit there.

" Assalamualaikum " Zahra said.

" Walaikum assalam " Both of them replied.

Through the tone of his voice, Zahra understood something was off.

She dared to look at him with Qizra beside who would start writing a novel based on the eye contact they would share in few minutes.
What I mean is that Qizra is a good teaser and a good believer of love.

Shaizaan started driving and peeked behind through his mirror.

She looked at the mirror and pointed at seat beside him through his finger. Zahra looked at Qizra who was busy looking outside the window.
She then looked back at him and pointed at Qizra in a fast wavy movement.

She saw Shaizaan nod and cleared his throat. This made Qizra to look at him.
The car stopped at a traffic light, a turn before the arrival of their college.

Shaizaan cleared his throat again.

" Bhai, are you okay? " Qizra asked.

Shaizaan replied,

" Yes. Maybe it's ice cream from last night. I shouldn't have eaten two cones. "

Zahra's eyes widen as they ate ice cream cones last night at terrace.

" But you ate only one at Walimah... " Qizra informed.

Shaizaan was alert with this. He looked at Zahra through mirror and she was eyeing him.

" I ate one at home in middle of night. " Shaizaan said and cleared his thoughts again.

Soon they arrived at their college.

Qizra walked out and so did Zahra not before looking at through mirror. He took was busy watching her.

" Zahra... " As soon as she stepped out with Qizra, Shaizaan called.

" What? " She asked walking towards him.

" I'll like it better if you sit beside me in the car. " He said. Zahra was taken aback with his words and said,

" It won't be possible as I'll shift in Kinza's room today. So, Qizra and I will be together...And it will be awkward... " Zahra was indirectly hinting him the answer, 'No'. But Shaizaan didn't want to accept that answer.

" Okay... " He nodded and left.

Zahra saw him leave. She stood still. Her heart said to her it was something else in his words... A hidden message that the brain didn't encrypt the code.

" Zahra? " Qizra held her hand as she wasn't listening when she called her name.

" Yeah?! "

" Everything okay? "

" Yes... "

Before the lecture started, Zahra had some time. She looked at the notification and saw a friend request in her Instagram account. It was Shaizaan. She was hesitant at first but when she saw the Professor arrive, she clicked random icons and kept her phone in her bag and stood up like other students.

" Good morning Mam. " The students greeted the Professor.

*****

Assalamualaikum
How are you?
How's the story going?
Are you enjoying reading the story?

Sorry for any grammatical mistakes.

Please like and comment and enjoy reading further.

Iram Khan

13/04/2024