𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧- all aboard

I stood among the crowd of students gathered outside the school, patiently waiting for our group's turn to board the bus that would take us to the college trip

I stood among the crowd of students gathered outside the school, patiently waiting for our group's turn to board the bus that would take us to the college trip. The two adult chaperones were standing at the front of the group, counting each and every one of us to make sure that no one was left behind.

I stood next to Kennedy, fully aware that they were going to choose our partners for the college trip today. I had been hoping for us to be paired together, and as the teacher cleared his throat to grab everyone's attention, I could feel the butterflies in my stomach starting to flutter.

The teacher's voice cut through the chatter, filling the air with his tone of authority and command.

"When we board this bus," he began, "no eating is allowed, do not be too loud, and do not drink on this bus - be respectful. The drive there will be two hours long, so make sure you use the rest room now."

"When I call your name that's who your partner is!" He continues.

"He should've of let us choose our own partners, for God's sake we're seniors." Kennedy sighs.

"Chase and Gloria."

"Fuck!" Chase spat in annoyance

"Rachel and Rylie."

"Yess!" They exclaimed together.

"Rick and—
he looked at his attendance clipboard.

"Kinsley."

"Who's that?" The crowd mutter.

"Celine!" The teacher used my first name this time.

"No!!" Kennedy drags out

Rick nonchalantly aboard the bus, it was obvious from his body language that he didn't want me to be his partner.

And I didn't want to be his either.

"I wanted him to be my partner!" The brunette girl from class, Maeve whines.

Get a grip whore.

"Kennedy and Maeve." He continues to call names.

"Fuck No!" Kennedy walked towards the teacher as Maeve follows.

"What is the problem."

"Me and her fought, we do not get along— do you know what happens when you mix bad and bad together?" Kennedy eyed him.

The teacher eyebrow raised in confusion.

"More Chaos!" Kennedy says

"You two will be fine, get on the bus now." The teacher gaze travels back onto the clipboard.

"Please!"

"Okay then, Kennedy your partner is Nevel, and Maeve your partner is Abby."

"Never fucking mind, come on Maeve." Kennedy sighs.

The teacher's command was loud and clear, and the crowd's muttering came to an abrupt halt as everyone quickly got quiet and began making their way towards the bus.

I was nervous as I took a seat next to Rick on the bus. My anxiety levels were rising slightly as I took notice of him, his head turned towards the window as he laid against it, with his hoodie on. He looked very relaxed and comfortable, but he didn't seem to notice me at all, which gave me some small relief. However, being this close to him still gave me a feeling of awkwardness, and my heart started to race a little.

"Rick?" I called 

"What." He turned his gaze towards me, goggling me.

"Can I sit by the window for when we come back."

"No." He said

I took a deep breath to control my emotions, I wanted to bond with him and get to know him and understand why he is like this.

"Did you eat today?" I asked

He turned back around with his eyebrow raised. "Are you going to speak to me this whole ride?"

"Yes."

"Well then I might fucking need these." He pulled out his earbuds.

I rolled my eyes in response to his ignorance.

But then, with no warning, I heard his low voice right beside me. His tone of voice didn't seem to match the silence, it was almost like a whisper.

"did you, hm?" his voice gruff.

"huh?" I didn't hear him the first time.

"I don't fucking like repeating myself Kinsley, I said did you?— did you eat, damn." He responded back but more louder this time.

"No— I didn't."

"Of course." He sighed plugging his earbuds back in.

"Why do you hate me?" I randomly blurted

He plugged one out and stared, "I hate you?" He questioned chuckling under his breath.

"I don't—

"You do." I interrupted.

"Maybe because you randomly came and intruded my home Kinsley."

"My mother died so Regan invited me to stay with you guys since they were originally bestfriends, and I didn't think it would be weird since you were my childhood friend— we used to have a past together."

"A past together?, A friend?

"I am not your friend."

"Well I obviously see that, you literally hate me and you're not giving me a valid reason for it."

"I don't need to fucking explain myself to you."

"Your right, you don't need to but how is anyone going to know what's wrong with you if you don't tell anyone to express them feelings?"

"Obviously something's wrong with you Rick because it couldn't just be me for the reason why you're so mean, because I have done nothing to you, I know what misplace anger is like because I have dealt and witnessed it on my own."

"Someday I just hope you tell someone about it Rick, Speak when you're ready."

"Why are you being so fucking nice to me!? Why are you so nice?" he asks

"You shouldn't be nice to people even when they say mean things to you, it makes you look weak and gullible, like for an example of you crying in the bathroom— what the fuck was you even crying about?"  he waits for an answer.

"My Mom." I answered honestly

Rick began to stare directly at me, his eyes softening for a brief moment. It seemed like he had something to say, like he wanted to speak and say something but decided to grunt and remain quiet. It was obvious that he was struggling with himself.

Maybe he doesn't want help. Or maybe he just doesn't cares too much like I do.

Rick sighs, the expression on his face showing no emotion at all. He plugs his earbuds back in his ears, seemingly tuning me out. Then, with a gruff low tone, he hands me a granola bar out of his bag, saying simply, "Eat."

I stare down at the granola bar in my hand, still not believing he did this nice thing for me. His expression changes, to one of concern, as if he was watching to make sure I ate it.

"It's blueberry." he said randomly

I held back the smile that was starting to make its way across my face, as I began to calmly unwrap the granola bar. I stared quietly out the window, feeling my heart beating in my chest at the close proximity to Rick. His head was against the window, leaning on it as if he had no other care in the world.

TO BE CONTINUED...