Chapter 1: Welcome to the New Divide

The fresh, cool winds danced through the skies, creating a gentle, melodic whisper in the middle of the woods. Bright, green leaves were beginning to sprout, while wide rays of sunlight peeked through the broken canopy.

Sylvia Bridgeworth was sprawled out on the forest floor, her palms facing up towards the vibrant, blue skies. Her eyes were shut, with the gentle rise and fall of her chest being the only visible sign of life.

As the breeze gently ran its fingers through her shimmering, long black hair, Sylvia inhaled the warm, fresh air and let out a long, drawn-out sigh.

I can't believe that today is finally here, she thought to herself, her heart pounding in excitement. For 3 years now, since graduating high school, Sylvia's been conditioning her body. Over that time, her personal trainer was relentless. But it was this cruel training that built her to be who she is today.

After graduation, like Sylvia, her classmates also worked towards their required criteria. Once a minor becomes eighteen, they graduate and proceed with vigorous training. Their knowledge and strength are put to the test when they take the final exam - which determines whether or not you're qualified for your Syndicate.

Skygazers are responsible for upholding security and defense, keeping the continent safe from outside threats. They create and modify plans of action while communicating alongside the Outlanders.

Outlanders get their share of the information, and from there, will proceed to station themselves in their necessary positions. They stay within city limits, serving citizens up close. If the Drift Roamers were to ever collapse, Outlanders would be the next front line of defense.

Last but not least, Drift Roamers are the Syndicate known to face the most danger head-to-head. They patrol along the outer city's edges and help with mapping the geography around the city. However, this means they have to wander into uncharted territory - disease could still remain, infected animals, you name it.

The disease did so much damage that initially, those who had survived refused to even give it a proper name. Over the years, a name began to float around - Death Wish. It speaks for itself. If you are willing to go anywhere near a contaminated area, let alone physically touch that area - you have a death wish.

Ever since Sylvia could remember, she's had this tingly sensation that she belonged to the Drift Roamers. Today was the day she could finally join her new family.

Mom...

Sylvia groaned, placing the palms of her hands on her forehead, elbows pointed upwards. Mom said I needed to join the Skygazers...

The Bridgeworths are widely known as some of the most intelligent, quick-witted people to live. For generations, they've reigned as rulers within the Skygazer Syndicate.

Sylvia could already picture the shitshow that was bound to happen when she would decide to follow her heart. She huffed in annoyance, thinking to herself - I'll be the first person in my bloodline who would dare defy my role as a Bridgeworth.

Most parents encourage their children to follow whatever path they feel would best suit them. However, Sylvia's mother only expects the utmost loyalty to her family and home Syndicate. But Sylvia knew she wasn't a Skygazer.

Sure, she was clever and quick to think up solutions when a problem unveils itself. Her grades were beyond excellent - she'd scored the highest in each subject on any test thrown at her and her classmates. Sylvia was often relied on by the teachers to assist with in-school tutoring, helping her fellow peers to thrive and succeed.

But despite these academic achievements, she possessed another skill set. Alongside her brains, she had strength. Through thorough exercise and dietary restrictions, Sylvia raised her potential to join the Drift Roamers Syndicate. While other overachievers similar to her are receiving praise and endless support from their parents, Sylvia has her mother's threat looming over her head.