April 18th, 1910 - First Entry

A private investigator, you enter the unlocked house of a once great man and daughter. He was the inventor of the radio, and his daughter, the television. They were often cooped up for months at a time before they were seen, their servants the only ones to be seen collecting food from the town.

You never knew them personally, but from what you've heard, neither of them were social in the slightest. Brilliant minds, but cold to others. At least, that's the word about them.

This was a year ago, though. It's come to your attention that they've not been seen in some time. Some reported seeing the daughter rarely, once her father died eight years ago. Although in the past year, no sightings of her have been reported at all. So you went to the house to determine her status.

Entering the living room you're greeted by the lead maid cleaning the house, the radio playing static to your ears. It's not tuned to a station, and when you go to shut it off, the maid seems annoyed as she turns to you. "Sir, while I permitted your investigation, there is no need to disturb my work."

Nodding at the odd lady, she turns back on the radio static as she goes back to work. Instead, you move on to the laboratory. Or something akin to one, at least. Inside is a grand setup, with a strange device I've never seen before, and what seems to be a strange screen in the back.

There's a bookshelf on the wall, and lined in neat rows are many, many, many books. Journals, it seems. While you're here, you decide to start from the beginning. Grabbing the first book, it's clearly old. Older than you, even. A thirty year old, and this journal is dated to 1910. Five years older than you.

On the inside of the book is a name. "Vera Mercury"

The handwriting in this journal is very scratchy, and seems to have stray lines strewn about for no apparent reason. At the top is, in a floral yet still scratchy writing, the date and a title: First Entry, 4/18/10.

"Dad got me this book for my birthday. He told me it'll help me organize my thoughts and research, and let me reflect. I don't really get it. It helps me with my thoughts, but I already think good! Like when I look at pages and stuff, or listening to the gramophone.

Well, maybe he's right. But what do I write about? He said research, but my research isn't big or anything like his. Nothing that makes sense on paper.

Coco said to write about how I feel about things. Make a little intro to me. So maybe I'll try that?

Ahem. I'm Vera Mercury. My father is Giovanna Mercury. He invented the radio, and is an amazing inventor! Really smart, and always trying to learn more and make better and better things! Like new ways to share information!

The radio first, and I get to use it because he made it! Even if other kids don't see how it's so cool, I do.

Oh, right, more about me.

I'm a scholar, according to father and Coco. They both say it a lot.

I used to have white hair, but now it has a bit of pink in it. Some kids like making fun of it, but they just don't get it.

Books and pictures are fun to read or look at when I'm listening to the gramophone. Coco always said it was weird that I did so much, but it's... I can't explain it. I just know I'm trying to reach something while looking at them, or listening to the gramophone. It's what people are showing us, basically.

Father is obsessed with sending pictures with electricity, and I think he can do it.

Insects are cool too. Such smart little things. Butterflies are cute, and stuff.

Oh! I also got my favorite lollie's from Coco for my birthday! Silvervine candy! Oh, maybe I should explain what it is? It's amazing! Tastes like chocolate and cotton candy and ice cream all at once!

...oh, I get it now! I can use this book to write my thoughts and stuff, then go back and check everything I wrote. So if I want to check things easier I can use this. Okay. I'll use it for my research tomorrow!

Bye~