star [ juju watkins ]

a/n: first dropskii😁

The arena lights dim causing the crowd to come alive. The announcer came on the speakers to introduce the game. Y/n's nerves started to set in as she fidgeted with the ends of her fresh jersey.

"You ready?" Paige asked as the starters sat on the bench; they were going to release the UConn lineup first.

"Hell yeah" Y/n breathed out with a small smile, trying to shake the nerves off.

"You and Juju are all good right?" KK asked with her usual goofy smile on her face.

"Oh yeah, we're totally fine," Y/n said.

For a little background insight, Y/n and Judea had been dating since their sophomore year of high school. They were the infamous basketball power couple.

They had won state twice while playing together at Sierra Canyon but got offers from different places. Juju wanted to stay in Cali while Y/n wanted to go to her dream college since elementary school; the University of Connecticut.

Even through the significant amount of miles between them, the two never found themselves breaking up. They always kept close contact and went to visit each other as much as time allowed. Y/n still gets teased by her teammates to this day because every time they see her she's either on facetime or typing away on her phone giggling.

All of the starters are waiting to be called. The team intro videos play, and Y/n smiles as her cameo from the team media day plays alongside a few of her highlights.

Though the fans are loud, the only thing Y/n can hear is her heartbeat. Getting impatient from waiting, she starts looking around the arena. Almost all the seats are filled, putting an uneasy feeling in her stomach. Soon enough she reaches USC's bench; where Juju is staring right back at her.

She sends Y/n a goofy smile, causing her to sport one as well. No one knows how long they were staring but the announcer on the intercom brings them back to reality. They introduced everybody one by one until Y/n and Paige were the only ones left.

"And now introducing, the 6'2 freshman forward from sunny California... Y/N/N L/NNNNNN" A smile breaks out on her face as she high-fives everyone, and does her handshake.

After everyone is announced, both teams set up for tip-off. Y/n's spot happens to be across from Juju.

"We're finna win." Juju mouths to Y/n causing her to quietly laugh.

"Yea yea... we'll see" Y/n mouths back rolling her eyes playfully.

TIME SKIPPITY BC IM HIGHKEY LAZY

Y/N'S POV

The ending buzzer goes off and I have a mixed feeling in my stomach. My teammates shove me and cheer causing me to fall as they all jump on top of me.

"Eww, ya'll are all sweaty... get off," I say causing everyone to laugh and slowly get off. Well, everyone but KK and Paige.

"If y'all big asses don't get off of me I'm not gone buy y'all food on the way back," I say, which makes Paige shoot up immediately

"I wasn't hungry anyway."

"Kamorea." I deadpan, causing the girl to scramble up to her feet.

"Alright now that was a little overboard," she mumbled while helping me up, causing, Paige and I to laugh.

We finally make it back to coach and get in line to shake hands. I high-five all of the girls on the team but one, and I look up to see her holding her head down with quick tears falling. I can tell from the look on her face that she's too deep in her mind to focus.