09. Cryptic Challenges

"Alright class, now that the details have been well understood, I would like to inform that your annual projects will not be an individual assignment, rather you all will be grouped into pairs. This assignment accounts for twenty-five percent of your aggregate scores. You and your partner have to equally contribute for the assignment. Team work is a very valuable skill and all must have it to an adequate extent. Any group disputes will NOT be entertained and will affect the pair's final grade. I hope the instructions are clear. Your pair's have been already decided. Any request for a partner change will NOT be granted either. "

As Mrs. Joe went on about the project instructions and details, the entire class groaned through her entire speech. It was pretty obvious the none preferred the idea of group projects especially when it was in pre-decided pairs. Truth be told, that jealousy , envy and rage were very prominent emotions in an all girls school. Lady Queen High,wasn't an exception to this rule either.

It is deeply embedded in all women to feel slightly troubled or intimidated if your opponent, friend or someone you don't even know that well, does better than you. It's nature. These emotions lie deep and are not expressed but if you are a teenage girl in an elite all girls' school with competitors all around, you simply cannot help it. Group wars, were hence, very popular. Everyone was aware of everyone's problem with everyone, as gossip travelled and got modified in leaps and bounds.

This new arrangement for assignment, was therefore not very healthy for the students but teachers, as they usually are, love to get students into trouble deliberately for their love of deducting marks. The class wasn't, to put it plainly, pleased. If the opportunity occurred, they would definitely indulge into ugly disputes to save their dignity. Their marks, apparently, did not matter much.

"I shall call out the pairs now. All of you must sit beside your partners, for the rest of the session. " Mrs. Joe demanded.

Monica, Sienna, Angelina and Anastasia, along with the rest of their classmates,groaned again. How worse could this get? First, the group project and now they even changed the seating arrangement? It seemed ridiculous but they couldn't protest and it irked them. They prayed that they weren't paired with the ones they disliked, considering the ugly consequences that might unfold.

" Genevieve and Betty"

" Andrea and Caroline "

" Meredith and Anastasia "

Anastasia looked like she was about to faint. A look of utmost horror cascading her face and Meredith simply tsked from across the room.

" Angelina and Sienna"
Both of them heaved a sigh of relief, thanking God probably a zillion times

"Monica and Emily"
As soon as those words left the teachers mouth, Monica gasped, too perplexed to utter anything. When realization hit her, she was about to open her mouth and protest, completely forgetting the previous instructions, but was held back by Sienna's warning hand on her arm. This wasn't happening, Monica thought still recovering from the shock. Alas, it was.

For a second, she looked across to the room to where Emily was sitting, only to find her staring straight at her. Her face held no emotions, nothing at all. But it was enough to have Monica regret her life choices, yet again. This was embarrassing. She held Emily's gaze for a moment, feeling her face burning hot, before timidly looking away.

After all the pairs had been called everyone stood up to change places and sit beside their respective partners. Angelina and Sienna were saved from the trouble. All four of them shared pitiful looks at each other. Especially, Anastasia and Monica.

They knew that Meredith and Emily weren't going to change their places. So, with no choice left, Monica and Anastasia walked across the room, as slowly as they could, to buy time, before they faced their untimely doom. When they reached their partners, both of them timidly sat down at the empty bench, not making any eye contact with their partners either. Anastasia was seated just behind Monica, beside Meredith which was a good sign among all the odds.

"Oh, look who's here-the Loser! " Meredith snickered, obviously referring to Anastasia who painfully hung her head low, not responding. She was not ready for an ugly confrontation at the very beginning. Monica felt sorry for Anastasia. The naive girl would be having a very hard time, she thought.

Monica finally mustered up the courage to look at her partner. Emily was already staring at her probably anticipating how to start the conversation. Monica coughed.

" Ahem.... Uhhh.... Which t-topic do you think we should do? " Monica uttered timidly, whilst cursing herself internally for stuttering and her poorly framed sentence.

"Which one do you feel will be strong enough as a project? "

Emily questioned as if testing her. Challenging Monica to see if she had the right judgement. She was eager to see if Monica was capable enough to be a potential partner— Partner for Emily Rhodes. Or was she just like one of those carefree people who preferred the simpler job and be done with it.

Monica understood what Emily was playing at. She gladly took the challenge. She loved challenges no matter who it came from. However there was a slightly different element that was playing in this case, and even Monica couldn't put a finger on it. It was just about this particular challenge that Monica felt a surge of confidence coursing through her veins. She didn't know why. She felt oddly flattered too. Were those simple words really having such an effect on her? She wasn't sure

Sitting up straighter Monica said sounding partially confident yet an unsure tone was laced with her voice but she ignored it.

" Well, I believe that topic three has a lot of potential. 'Development of Space Exploration and Advancement in Science'. It seems strong as a project as it will require a lot of research and good creativity to form possible explanations of unsolved theories and causes. It is interesting too, in my opinion. I don't think many people will choose that, considering the huge homework it requires."

There was a pregnant pause as Monica waited for an acknowledgement of any sort. She looked at Emily who simply stared back with a scrutinizing gaze which Monica thought was very intimidating. Time slowed as Monica now sort of regretted her choices. She should've picked the 5th one, she thought.

"Funny, it was my first choice too. "

That was the reply. Only it wasn't funny. Monica thanked God and let out a shaky breath, that she had been holding for long. Emily was curt but something in her eyes, and the way she said it, and her subtle smirk made Monica feel as if she was impressed. It was perhaps the glint in her eyes or the way they very slightly lit up-Monica wasn't sure. But she was, to say the least, pleased with her decision.

" Cool. So when should we start working on it then? " Monica questioned calmly, still unsure.

"How about today, when we meet at the AI lab? Maybe we could elongate the hours a bit and discuss the probable research topics too? It will be convenient for me. How about you? "

" Yeah totally fine. I'd lov- I mean, I think it's alright with me, hehe. "

Gosh! My laugh sounds atrocious— Monica internally face-palmed herself for her stupid fumbling.

"Alright then" Emily nodded.

"Alright" Monica smiled.That's significant improvement, she thought.

»»--⍟--««