Chapter 6: I Really Suck At Driving

1997 words

Raiden P.O.V.

Zoë rubbed her temples. "I am afraid this situation is escalating very rapidly."

"Yes," I agreed. "But of this quest, who should go?"

It was the day after Zoë had her dream about Artemis, and the head counselors were sitting around the ping-pong table in the Big House; Zoë, Bianca, Orion, and I were representing the Artemis Cabin.

"Well," said Chiron, "the prophecy stated that seven shall journey west, so we require seven people."

"I will take seven Hunters," said Zoë. "We will locate Lady Artemis." 

"Hold up." Percy held up both his hands. "Campers and Hunters have to work together to succeed, remember?"

Zoë pursed her lips, but she knew as well as any of us that you couldn't avoid the words of a prophecy.

"Okay," I said, "so how about this: five Hunters and two campers? That seems fair."

Zoë nodded her approval and shot me an appreciative look.

"Alright," said Charles Beckendorf. "Out of the Hunters, who will go?"

"Myself, of course," said Zoë matter-of-factly. "I will take Phoebe, as she is our best tracker behind Ainsley." The lieutenant of Artemis grimaced. "But as Ainsley is currently unavailable...I also wish Bianca and Orion to come. Orion is well-equipped to fight and survey terrain undetected."

"Me?" said Bianca, taken aback. "Are you sure? I just joined the Hunters."

"Thou willst be fine," reassured Zoë.

"But that's only four Hunters," Thalia pointed out. "Who's the fifth?"

"That would be me," I said.

"You're a Hunter?" asked Thalia with distaste.

"Yes," I said, slightly annoyed. "An honorary one, anyway."

"What does that mean?"

"Doesn't matter. Who are the campers that are coming?"

"Me!" Grover sat forward so fast he almost fell out of his seat. "You need a satyr's sense of direction, and I want to help Lady Artemis."

"I do not think so, satyr," said Zoë coldly. "Thy are not a half-blood."

Orion sat forward at this point from his spot next to Zoë and muttered something in her ear. Zoë frowned, nodded stiffly, and turned to face Grover.

"Very well, satyr," she said. "You may accompany us."

Grover quivered with excitement, while Travis Stoll said, "We still need one more camper. Who's it going to be?"

"I'll go," said Thalia.

"Very well," said Zoë, though her nose wrinkled with distaste when she looked at Thalia.

"Wait a minute," said Percy. "I want to go too."

"Oh...yeah, of course," Grover stammered. "Percy can go instead of me."

"No," said Zoë. "I shall not have a boy accompanying Hunters."

"But you're letting him go." Percy pointed at Orion. "He's a boy!"

"Orion is different," said Zoë coldly. "He is a Hunter and has the favor of Lady Artemis. He may come."

"But- but-" Percy sputtered desperately, but Chiron held up a hand.

"The Hunters are leading this quest, Percy," he said gravely. "It is their decision who goes."