Prologue

They came upon an emerald mist.

Our backs were turned, for we were distracted by the disappearance of the country's renowned criminal. For we were focused on the large crime vacuum the infamous Jesse Taylor left in his stead.

But then they came upon an emerald mist. Monsters emerged from the oceans, clawed out of canyons, swooped down from the sky, submerged from sewer systems, and came racing down the mountains. They hunted humans for food and sport.

When foreign support arrived in our time of need, they were no match for the formidable invaders. And as they retreated, unbeknownst to them that they carried stowaways on their ships and planes. They brought the monsters to their homes too. These creatures were adaptable and fast breeding, and they eventually reached everywhere.

The following year was absolute havoc, people were hunted down and massacred. But the next years grew quieter, as the monsters stopped their feeding frenzy when they realized that the human population was exponentially decreasing.

I was only a kid as I watched my neighbors get slaughtered; when my friends disappeared or fled from the chaos. I was only a kid when my parents' bodies were unable to be recovered, unable to be given a proper burial. I was only a kid when my sister left, promising that she'd one day return with help.

I am no longer a kid. But I'm still alone. I'm still scared.