Prologue

Human beings have always been afraid of the dark. When the lights go out, or night falls, they can't help but feel it. That unnerving sense of anxiety and dread runs through every nerve in their bodies as they stare into the blackness.
It's a feeling they've had their whole lives. A fear they have developed since prehistoric times. An instinctual mistrust of the unknown.

While they were evolving; taking their first, shaky, timid steps out onto the world, they learned to fear the darkness. They stared into that inky, black abyss. Watching. Searching. Terrified that something else was out there, watching them back.

It was.

Human beings evolved to fear the night.

We evolved to embrace it.

-Chiropteramorphs: Creatures Of The Night, Unknown.

The murderer was beautiful.

As Christopher sank to his knees, clutching at the hole where part of his throat used to be, all he could think was how beautiful the person who had killed him was. Their ethereal glow seemed to transcend any concept of size, shape or gender. They were simply beautiful. Christopher couldn't even bring himself to scream. Perhaps it was because he couldn't force himself to break this perfect, beautiful silence. Or perhaps it was because his larynx had been torn to pieces. Either way, the silence remained firm as Christopher's body collapsed into the soft, wet grass beneath him. As blackness engulfed his vision and his consciousness faded into eternal oblivion, Christopher smiled. The murderer really was so very beautiful.