Shadow Temple - SENSITIVE VERSION

Hyrule's Horror of Dark Secrets
Article by Hunter Turrfield

WARNING: THIS ARTICLE CONTAINS GRAPHIC DESCRIPTIONS OF VIOLENCE, TORTURE AND SENSITIVE CONTENT. SQUEAMISH PEOPLE, DON'T READ!

The Shadow Temple is a temple that existed in the Era of the Hero of Time. It was originally used as an executioner's ground and torture area by the Sheikah. Hyrule's worst enemies were subjected there. Upon its discovery, the operation was shut down by the Royal Family and it was declared a sin to even speak its name.

Years later, the temple remained dormant and unused, yet still lined with booby traps and illusions. Undead infected the place, the souls of those who were killed there coming back as either ReDeads or Gibdos. Soon after, an abomination named Bongo Bongo came around and was exiled to the Shadow Temple and people feared the temple more now than ever. To protect the people, the entrance to the temple was barricaded and locked by a special security puzzle. They even put a fence on the ledge so no one could climb up.

The temple was believed to be cursed, for it always rained in the back of the graveyard where the entrance sat...

Of course, there was another way into the temple, but no one got that far that way. It was through the Kakariko Well. The well never used to exist though, it used to be a house. The structure that sat underneath the well was accessible by a trapdoor. After Bongo Bongo was sealed in the temple, the house was knocked down and a well was put where the trapdoor was. It was made sure that the well was full of water at all times and illusions were put at the entrance to the structure to prevent wanderers from going in.

The structure was basically an extension to the Shadow Temple. The people were put in cells there and then when it was time for their punishment, they would be transported down a narrow and intimidating corridor to the temple.

In terms of punishment, it was unclear what was done, but studies showed that the punishment was served in sittings, never in one go. The people who were awaiting their next round of torture (as it was) would be held in cells. The prisoners mainly died from infection and illness rather than torture due to the unclean and infectious environment. The temple was never cleaned and there were no bathrooms for prisoners. Most of them sat in dried blood, urine and faeces. They were also forced to eat what little food they were given in this environment.

Male prisoners were tortured by being whipped, beaten, cut into, and limbs would be dismembered. Infection would then take hold of them and wounds weren't given the opportunity to heal. In extreme cases, their private parts would be cut off. This would lead to death almost in a day.

For women, they got the same kind of treatment, however some were sexually abused too.

Years later, when The Hero of Time lifted the curse and killed Bongo Bongo, the temple was cleaned up and became a symbol of the Shadow Sage. It still stands now, but there is no way to enter it. The souls that were tortured and killed there finally have rest.

————

Obviously this was written by me 😉. If you still wanna learn about the Shadow Temple, I will make a censored version.