🦕ྀི (XXII)

Chapter Twenty-two

[Ben POV]

The alarm blares in my ears and I bolt upright. Bumpy startles from my sudden action, and I rub her head bumps worriedly.

"Um, what's going on?" Y/N says.

"Attention. All park-goers must report to the South Ferry Dock for immediate evacuation. Last ferry departs in two hours." An automative male voice says over the speakers.

"That's it? No explanations? That's all we get?" Brooklyn groans.

"We have to move. The only way we're gonna make it is if we run." Darius tells us.

"Are you sure that's the best way to get there?" I ask nervously, looking at Y/N.

"I'm fine. I'll just need some support." She says with a small smile.

I give her a nod, and search my fanny pack for the map I'd scavenged a while back. Once I take it out, I spread it on the bench for the others to see.

"Naturally, we have a problem." I say, pointing at one corner of the paper. "We're here. The docks are on the southern tip of the island. Even if we run at peak Yaz speed, there's no way we'd make the last boat out."

"You don't know that." Sammy hopefully says.

I scoff. "Yes, I do. I memorized the evacuation plan on the ferry ride over."

Y/N nods. "I saw him do it."

Everyone groans.

"Okay, so we need another way. Um... can we use those somehow?" Darius says, pointing at the kayaks floating on the water. "Or send someone to tell the ferry people to wait?"

"Or make a few jetpacks real quick? Oh! We should befriend a unicorn!" Yasmina says sarcastically.

"Face it. It's hopeless." Y/N sighs.

"We will be arriving at Main Street, your destination for fine dining and shopping at Jurassic World."

A monorail train passes by on the bridge up ahead, and we all look at it in hope.

"Followed by stops at the Jurassic World Lagoon and the South Ferry Dock."

The moment Y/N hears the last three words, her shoulders lift in hope. "We might just make it."

"Monorail, what-what!" Kenji cheers.

"Mm, nicely played, universe." Brooklyn smiles, her hands on her hips.

"Hurry!" Darius calls, and we all run to the exit of the stands.

I offer my hand to Y/N and she takes it gratefully. We limp after the others and Bumpy follows by our feet.

Up ahead, Kenji, Sammy, and Brooklyn run back to us after reaching the middle of a clearing.

"What is it?" Y/N asks as we duck behind a staircase.

Brooklyn shushes us, and Darius peeks out. "Toro."

Y/N's eyebrows scrunch in worry.

"Move," Darius whispers at us, and we shake our heads at him.

He leads by example and runs to the other side. Toro doesn't notice him.

Once Darius ducks by the other staircase, he gestures for us to follow.
Brooklyn, Kenji, and Yasmina run ahead but then quickly turn back before Toro sees them.

Toro senses something, and he stomps towards us. Darius bangs the metal beside him, distracting the Carnotaurus briefly.

"Come on." Y/N whispers, but we don't move.

She pinches her nose in exasperation at our fear, and goes to limp ahead first.

Encouraged by her example, Yaz follows in a sprint, and the rest of us do the same.

Once we walk up the stairway, we crouch behind the stair walls as to not be seen by Toro.

Ahead of me, Bumpy bounds up the stairs, hitting a paper cup in the process. Before it falls, however, Brooklyn catches it.

Soon, Kenji and Brooklyn reach the top, along with Yasmina. The monorail halts beside them.

"Welcome to the Jurassic World Lagoon. Next stop, Ferry Landing!" The voice alerts Toro of us, and he roars, trying to climb up the stairs.

I dodge a few toothy chomps, and quickly run up the rest of the stairs.

Up ahead, Darius and Sammy reach the monorail, and Kenji jams himself in between the doors to keep it from leaving everyone else.

"Please stand clear of the closing doors."

"Do not let those doors close!" Sammy says while she and Brooklyn desperately tug it sideways to open

"Please stand-- please stand--"

I turn around, feeling that someone is missing, and I spot Y/N dodging the chomps Toro is attempting at her.

I gasp as as a rush of adrenaline courses through me. My hand instinctively reaches out, and Y/N takes it in her own, gripping it tight.

I pull her up with every last strength I can muster, and we stumble up the rest of the stairs and into the monorail.

The train starts to drive off and we leave Toro behind, angry and roaring.

"Thank goodness. I thought I was a goner back there." Y/N sighs, leaning on the windows.

"No way. Something bad always happens when we think we're safe. Watch. The doors are going to open."

Nothing happens. Sammy scoffs and walks to a seat for herself.

"Then, the train's gonna stop because that's how it works." Kenji tries again.

Brooklyn shakes her head and takes a chair to sit on.

"Don't worry. We're safe now, Kenj..."
Y/N pats his shoulder before going to sit beside me.

Kenji lights up at the small nickname and he calms down a little.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ˳༄꠶ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯