🦕ྀི (XXI)

Chapter Twenty-One

[Y/N POV]

Where did everyone go?" Brooklyn wonders, looking around the stands.

The sun begins to set in the horizon, and I feel myself feeling better at the sight. Ben rests down on Bumpy, and Bumpy lies down on the ground.

Kenji chomps on a few pieces of popcorn he'd found, and offers me one. I scrunch up my nose and shake my head.

"Suit yourself, Dino-girl." he shrugs and continues eating. I smile a little at the nickname.

Sammy is sitting by the side, looking close to tears, and I painfully move myself to sit beside her.

"Are you okay?" I tentatively ask.

Brooklyn also sits by Sammy's other side, and looks at her.

"Now? Not really." Sammy says, staring at the ground in sadness.

"Yeah. Dumb question." I sigh, and Brooklyn shrugs with a concerned face.

"I don't know her that well, but I think if you give Yaz some space, she'll come around," Brooklyn says.

"Mmhmm." I hum with a nod of agreement. "Probably."

"I don't know. I'm gonna be honest." Brooklyn says. "In real life, friendships aren't really my thing but uh... sounds right, yeah?"

Sammy looks at her and me back and forth. "Why are you two being so nice to me?"

"Because I would do the same." I shamefully admit. "Especially if it's for my family."

"And because Kenji is right." Brooklyn adds. "Ugh, that feels so wrong to say."

"Why?" I ask her. "Kenji isn't that bad. He's just... lonely, and he copes with it by being arrogant and so full of himself."

"Maybe." Brooklyn shrugs. "But the point is, I've done my share of selfish things. I only knew what you were up to because I was also sneaking in places I shouldn't. You were at least doing it for family. I was doing it to impress a bunch of angry internet randos." She chuckles bitterly.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Sammy's spirit lifting slightly.

"Plus, when we get out of here, you're gonna give Brooklyn the exclusive on all the juicy details of you spying for Mantah Corp." I jokingly add, and Sammy cracks a small smile.

" 'Brooklyn Unboxes a Conspiracy'. Pow, pow!" Brooklyn adds happily with finger guns. "Try to tell me my videos are lame after that, angry internet randos!"

Sammy laughs a little, and I grin.

"So, deal?" Brooklyn offers her hand to Sammy, and she takes it reluctantly.

I also offer my hand, and she shakes them both. "Deal."

Then we all hear a blaring alarm echo across the stands.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ˳༄꠶ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

I'm so sorry for the short chapter! I'll start making it up by adding this in:

This is so true for me. It makes me smile when I see you guys, reading, voting and (maybe) commenting!

Thanks,
-Spikey