🦕ྀི (XX)

Chapter Twenty

[Y/N POV]

"You guys?" I hear Sammy's voice say. "Should the algae be moving?"

"That's not algea," I mutter with a smile lighting up my face. "Those are dinosaurs."

Dinosaurs are one of the few things in life that can make me feel calm, even though my HDP.

Unless they're chasing us, of course, but we don't talk about that.

Parasaurolophuses with glowing crests illuminate the sides of the cave where they are feeding on seaweed. The stripes of bioluminescence run through their sleek bodies, aligning with them in a smooth parallel pattern.

Kenji and Ben give similar yelps to the dinos by the side, but the rest of us stare in wonder as their heads lift. The parasaurolophuses lower themselves into the water and walk alongside our kayaks.

I reach out a hand and stroke its head, smiling as I do so.

Now, this is what I came to Jurassic World for. Not to hate the dinosaurs, but to spend the time with the lovely beings.

"Don't panic, guys. They're herbivores." Darius says, also petting one of them
"Dr. Wu must have put the bioluminescent gene into these parasaurolophuses."

"Remarkable creatures, dinosaurs are." I breathe in wonder, my eyes shining.

But then more and more surround our kayaks as they come closer from our friendliness, and our canoes start to get cramped, bumping against each other.

I almost fall out of ours, but thankfully, I catch the sides of the kayak in time, my slippery grip sliding on the yellow-painted wood. Ben reaches forwards to catch me, but almost falls in himself.

Bumpy groans and squeals at them in agitation, but they don't stop their pushing and shoving.

Just as we are all on the brink of tipping over, the parasaurolophuses halt, all their heads lifting simultaneously and staring at the darkness ahead of us. Then they sidle away quickly when one of them gives a bellow, leaving us campers confused.

As our kayaks float into the darkness, I start to get worried. "Um, guys? I can't see anyone except for Ben and Bumpy."

"Cool kids to nerds, where are you?" Kenji calls out from somewhere within.

"Over here!" Darius' voice replies.
"I think something scared the parasaurolophuses."

"Darius, if we stopped paddling, why are we still moving forwards?" Sammy asks nervously.

I squint ahead and see two pipe-like tunnels. Our kayaks are floating towards the one on the right.

"I see two pipes leading to who knows where!" I warn them. "A current is pulling us to the first one."

Darius gasps. "Paddle! Paddle away! That isn't the tunnel we're supposed to go into!"

My hands slide on the slick handle as I frantically row the kayak to the other side with my paddle. But all our attempts don't work, and we fall into the one on the left, our screams bouncing around the corners, Ben being the loudest.

Then all of a sudden, we burst out into an open pool of water, the sunlight hitting our sore eyes.

"We're okay, we're okay." Ben sighs, hugging Bumpy in relief.

Kenji puts his shades back on and gasps. "What?"

"Kenji?" I ask him.

"Why did you gasp? It did not sound like a good gasp," Ben says haltingly.

" 'Cause I know exactly where we are guys," He says, his voice quivering. "We're in the Jurassic World Lagoon. And so is the Mosasaurus."

"I assume the Mosasaurus is some kind of giant fish-like dinosaur that's gonna try and eat us." Ben guesses, staring at the water.

"You got that right." I murmur, an ominous shudder running through my spinal cord.

A low growling reaches my ears, and I yelp. My head snaps to the water behind me, and I catch a small glimpse of a black, scaly back gliding under the water.

The colossal Mosasaurus starts to swim in a deadly circle around us, splashing cold droplets of water on me every so often.

"It's circling us. Testing us." Brooklyn says with a scared expression.

"It's acting like a shark." I add.

"We're intruders in its domain, so it's investigating us." Darius says. "Before it's confident enough to..."

"...attack." Sammy finishes.

The Mosasaurus snarls and the water vibrates.

"This is bad." Yasmina whispers.

"We have to get out, now!" Kenji yells at us to move.

"There's a ladder by the spectator's stands." Darius points with his index.

"Paddle! Go go, go!" I holler and we all follow, disrupting the peace of the lagoon water.

"This is not how Kenji wanted to go out!" He yelps.

"This isn't on my to-do list either!"
Yaz adds.

"Less taking, more paddling!" I call out.

Brooklyn and Kenji reach the stands first. Sammy and Darius reach it next. Then Yasmina does

Ben and I are lagging behind because of Bumpy's weight and the Mosasaurus starts to catch up with us.

"I need to remove some weight. The kayak's too heavy," I mumble, my eyes darting around. Then I see a lone pole in the center of the lagoon.

"Ben, trust me." I put a hand on his shoulder, and he shakes his head.

"Whatever you're about to do, don't do it!" He warns, but I dive into the water

"Too late!"

My eyes feel as if they're getting poked by a needle as I rapidly kick my feet and slowly approach the pole.
I thrust my body up and climb on it, then I use the paddle to bang the pole, distracting the Mosasaurus.

"Hey! Over here! Leave Ben alone and come and get me instead. I'm tastier!!" I holler, even though it doesn't understand me.

The Mosasaurus turns to the sound a starts to swim around the pole as Ben and Bumpy reach the spectator's stands.

"The hook!" I scream at Kenji. "Give me the hook!"

He quickly cranks the lever, and the feeding hook rises in front of me. I grab onto the chain, and it slowly moves towards the stands where the others are.

But it's too slow. The Mosasaurus surges out of the water and chomps on the chain, missing me by inches. The chain cuts in half, and I drop to the stands with a loud bang.

Then my leg lands on the floor, and I feel it get even worse.

"Ow! Oh gosh, that hurts!" I howl, tearing up at the injury.

The other campers rush to my side, and hear Ben choke back sobs.

"It's okay! I think." I wince, and sit down on the spectator's benches, propping my leg up painfully.

"Don't ever do that again." Ben says crossly through tears, reaching over to hug me.

"No promises." I smile at him weakly once he pulls away

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ˳༄꠶ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯