🦕ྀི (XV)

Chapter Fifteen

[Kenji POV]

Brooklyn huffs and 'accidentally' bumps into Sammy roughly while she walks. Yasmina pats her back while glaring at the pink-haired girl.

Wow. Even I don't act like that.

"Don't let Brooklyn upset you. She's just being... Brooklyn." Yaz says matter-of-factly.

Sammy smiles uncertainly before her face expression changes. "Yaz, there's something I..."

But she gets cut off mid-sentence when we reach a dead Ankylosaurus beside a broken gyrosphere.

"The Indominus Rex was here." Y/N confirms solemnly. "This is so bad."

"Predators don't kill prey and then just leave without feeding. This... this isn't right." Darius crouches down on the grass, slowly caressing the dead dino's plates.

Then suddenly we hear a low groan, causing all of us to scurry back and hide behind the gyrosphere.

We all stare at the direction with a tense air, not knowing what had made the sound.

A teal, baby Ankylosaurus bounds out and squeals happily.

Ben rushes to hug her, and Y/N crawls to them to do the same.

"Bumpy!" Ben chuckles.

"And drooly, and smelly." Yasmina adds.

"How do you even know that's the same dinosaur?" I sceptically ask them.

"Her assymetry." Y/N says softly, stroking Bumpy's head. "Dr. Wu is wrong that it's bad."

"And so what if she's assymetrical?" Ben adds, getting more agitated by the second. "There's nothing wrong with being asymmetrical, or bumpy, or getting tired after reading an overly thrilling book!"

Y/N chuckles softly. She knows that her best friend is ranting again, but isn't really mad.

"As fun as this reunion is, shouldn't we keep moving south?" Yasmina drawls.

"I'm not spending another hour walking through the jungle, hoping that we don't run into that Indominus." Brooklyn whines. "We need a new plan."

I rack my brain. "Uh, yeah, obviously we need a new plan. So, I had Darius figure out a new one. Lay it on us, bro." I punch Darius' shoulder lightly.

I feel kinda of bad putting the pressuring role of leader on Darius, but he knows the jungle better than me.

Besides, I have my dignity to maintain.

[Kenji 🤦🏻‍♀️]

"Okay," he says carefully. "So uh... we need somewhere safe close by. If camp is that way, and the park is that way..."

Y/N gasps softly. "Isn't Dr. Wu's field genetics lab near here?"

"You guys went on the tour. Does this area look familiar?" Darius turns to us.

"Um... Yeah. Y-yeah. I think it might be over that way." Sammy points to the right.

"That seems right." Yasmina immediately agrees, and I find it kind of annoying that she always sticks by Sammy.

Although the Texan girl does have a point this time. But I can't shake off the sneaking suspicion that she isn't all innocent.

"Then that's where we should go." Darius decides. "There's bound to be an adult there who can help or tell us what to do. Right?"