🦕ྀི (XII)

Chapter Twelve

[3rd POV]

"It's locked!" Kenji groans, while he and Yasmina tug on the gates.

"Oh, wow. Guess we can't get in." Ben says nervously. "We should all go back before someone comes along and we get in trouble."

"Wait, where is everybody?" Kenji says, off-put by the silence

"Uh, there's usually someone around." Y/N mutters worriedly.

"If we're doing this... Then we might as well do this." Brooklyn pulls out her hair pin and easily picks the lock. "Ta-da!"

The rest of the campers stare at her, Kenji with a slightly open mouth

"What? You didn't see my 'Unboxing Kathmandu' video, 'Hacks For When You Lock Yourself Out Of Your Hotel Room'?"

"Last to the top is a rotten egg!" Sammy exclaims.

"Later, rotten egg." Yaz starts to sprint up the stairs and the rest of the campers follow close behind.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ˳༄꠶ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

All of the campers pant heavily, with Yasmina as an exception.

"Is anybody else hot?" Sammy wipes her forehead. "It's hot."

"No more stairs!" Kenji almost collapses on the ground. "There better be something good."

A low rumbling makes the campers lean on the balcony.

"There's something out there." Brooklyn mumbles.

"Something big." Y/N adds grimly.

All of the campers sigh as a brachiosaurus steps out, bellowing.

"It's just a brachiosaurus." Y/N smiles, relieved that it's not something worse.

"Ooh! Mystery solved. Guess we should head back now!" Ben scrambles up to walk to the stairs.

"But that doesn't make any sense." Darius frowns. "Brachiosauruses don't roar like that. They're more like..." The dark-skinned boy tries to groan loudly, making Kenji smirk.

"Didn't quite catch that. Uh, one more time?" he teases.

"Hey!" Y/N hears a faint voice call. "What are you kids doing outside?"

Two men rush underneath the tower, and cup the sides of their mouths to shout louder. "There's an asset out of containment!"

"What are they saying?" Brooklyn asks, calmly. None of the other campers look bothered, except for Ben and Y/N, who's guts are telling them that something's wrong.

"You can't be up there!" the second man yells.

"Oh great! They look mad. I told you we'd get in trouble." Ben's lower lip sticks out again, and his best friend's eyebrows scrunch in worry.

"Can you hear us? You need to get down now!!"

"Hurry!"