Knowing each other

Zahra POV

Who is this man? Hareem Khala said she has a daughter, Zunirah and that Khala is going to meet her that means she is not here. Then who is he?
Cousin of Zunirah? Maybe...I thought to myself.

I slowly opened the door without making any noise and peaked at the warenda to find no one.

I walked downstairs and found BiJaan offering Namaz.
I thought to wait for her and ask.
But a sudden craving for snacks made me walk towards the kitchen only to find him again.

" Ahh " I screamed and sat on the couch in the hall, covering my mouth with my hands.

" Do I look like a monster to you? I am a human being. Why are you reacting like you have seen a snake or dinosaur? " He asked as if yelling at me.

I looked at him with anger.

How dare he shout at me?

" You!! Who are you? This is Hareem Khala's house. And she doesn't have a son. Then who are you? " I picked up the pen and asked. I thought pen point can make him scare a little bit there was no effect on his reaction.

" I am your Hareem Khala's nephew. She is my Chachi. " He replied.

" Ohh " I nodded and put the pen on the table.

" So, you guys met, huh? " I heard BiJaan's voice and turned to see her.

" Ji "

" Furqan and his father were best friends. I treated both of them like my own. Furqan was younger than his father and told Shaizaan when he was young to call him Chachu. "

" Ji. But BiJaan I won't be comfortable if he is around. " I told her.

" I understand. But you are here for a few days. If you want, stay in my room. " I nodded when I heard him say,

" Or stay in a hotel "

" Shaizaan... " BiJaan scolded him and I unknowingly giggled.

" I'll stay in that room, BiJaan. But make him promise that he won't trouble me... "  I complained.

" What have I done that is troubling you? " He asked in his rude loud voice.

Existing... I wish I could say that.

" Shaizaan, she is our guest for a few days until Kinza's wedding. "

" Ohh so you are here for your friend's wedding? " He asked.

" She is their cousin, not biologically. " BiJaan replied.

" I don't understand... "

" My mother and Khala are best friends and they made me and her children bond like we are cousins. "

" Complicated. " He replied and drank the milkshake he made.

" But as co-owner, BiJaan I would like it if she leaves. " He said watching me.

" As if... " I replied and sat beside BiJaan.

" It's a matter of a week. Also, I'll leave this weekend to stay with Zunirah for a month. I need you, Zahra, to take care of Shaizaan. He will be alone here. Make sure he eats on time. " BiJaan said and it already made me annoyed.

" Why me? He can take care of himself. Or ask any male friend of his to take care of him. "

" I won't trust anyone. I know your Khala will take care of him but you, especially keep an eye on him. I want this house to be safe as well. "

I frowned.

" Don't frown. I am not a bad guy that you will face any problem from my side. " Shaizaan said.

" Zahra, I heard your college starts the day after tomorrow. "

" Ji, BiJaan. "

" Shaizaan, take care of her. You should drop her at college and pick her up as well. "

" But BiJaan... " Before Shaizaan could say anything, BiJaan said,

" She is all alone now. Take care of her. "

" What do you mean by all alone? She has her parents, her Khala and her cousin, you and Hareem Khala and... "

" She is an orphan, Shaizaan. " BiJaan replied to Shaizaan's complaint.

" Like me? " He whisperly asked.

He is an orphan too? I looked at him.

" And Khala is not biologically related. No matter how much they care, there still remains a little touch which only blood related feels. " BiJaan said.

" I don't think so, BiJaan. Khala took care of me like her own. "

" Then she should have brought you here when she heard about what your step mother is doing to you... " BiJaan's words made me shocked.

I felt like I would cry.
" I'll come after taking a rest... " I said and left the hall.

'Then she should have brought you here when she heard about what your step mother is doing to you...'

True...she could have done that...
But she did fight with Papa for this.

Tears fell down my eyes. I wiped them every minute.
Laying on the bed, wiping the tears, I didn't know when my overthinking mind went to sleep.

*****

Assalamualaikum
How are you?
How's the story going?
Are you enjoying reading the story?

Sorry for any grammatical mistakes.

Ramadan Mubarak!!
May Allah bless us with good health, happiness, prosperity and success. May Allah reward us for our good deeds and forgive us for our sins.

Please like and comment and enjoy reading further.

Iram Khan

11/03/2024