Chapter 4: Why Do My Grandparents Suck At Dancing?

2069 words

"That was not a fun ride," said Raiden, climbing out of the back of the van.

The other Hunters seemed to agree. Many of them were green, and Pax had already vomited in the snow.

"Hunters," I said. "Follow me."

"I'll lead the way!" Grover scrambled in front of us with a huge grin on his face.

"We do not need help," said Zoë coldly. "We will be in Cabin Eight. Inform Chiron."

"But it's so easy to get lost here if you don't where to go," Grover pointed out. "Come on!"

I sighed and exchanged a look with Zoë.

Can thou please get rid of him? Her voice spoke, irritated and sharp, into my mind. He is a hindrance and an irritation.

You might have been wondering what was going on and how Zoë could speak into my mind. See, as a daughter of Artemis, one of my powers included communicating telepathically with the Hunters and vice versa.

Zoë, I said telepathically back, there's no getting rid of him.

If there was one thing I knew about Grover after spending a school year with him when I was 12, it was that he was persistent.

Zoë rolled her eyes but permitted Grover to lead us toward our cabin.

"Take care, darlings!" Apollo shouted after us.

Raiden threw Apollo a very menacingly look over her shoulder, and he scampered quickly back into his van.

"Thou may leave us now," said Zoë icily to Grover once we reached Cabin Eight.

"But-"

"Now."

Grover left, looking slightly flustered.

"Hunters, choose a bunk and unpack," I ordered, opening the ornately carved chestnut door to let everyone inside. "We will congregate afterward."

The Hunters all walked into the cabin, followed by Zoë and I. I chose a bunk nearest the door, dropped my backpack, and grabbed a Drachma out of the pocket.

"Okay," I said, once everyone was unpacked, "now is free time. Choose an activity around camp. If any male attempts to flirt with you, slap him, break his nose, or kick him in the shins. Or all three, your choice."

"We will gather in the Dining Pavilion this evening," said Zoë. "Now, off with you all."

All chattering, the Hunters departed.

"How about a friendly game of basketball, Orion?" suggested Phoebe.

"You're on, Phoebe." Dad's eyes glittered with competitiveness. "I'm going to kick your butt."

"You said that the last time. And the time before that, and the time before that, and the before th-"

"Alright! I get it!"

"Ooh, basketball," said Pax excitedly. "Count me in! I don't really know how to play, though."

"I'll teach you," Ash said.

"I vill too," added Joan in her heavy French accent.

Raiden, Bianca, and Celyn wanted to shoot some hoops as well, so they, along with the other four, walked in the direction of the basketball court.

"I'm going to the archery range," said Hunter.

"Me too." Naomi and Sarah ran to catch up with Hunter.