Introduction

RedCity on the Ocean

by Max Sprin

Montreal, 2023

Version 2

Dedicated to my daughter

Alina Spring

The Reconquista – the centuries–old process of expelling Arab conquerors from the Iberian Peninsula – was coming to an end. The south of the peninsula was now scorched earth, abundantly watered with tears and blood.

The religious tolerance of the Iberian monarchs was also ending. The Spaniards and Portuguese expelled the Jews and the Muslims, who had taken root in their lands long before. The espoused monarchs, Isabella I of Castile and Ferdinand II of Aragon, were preparing to establish Catholicism as the singular religion of their now united kingdoms and end tolerance of all non-Catholics.

The Inquisition would formally be established in Castile beginning in 1478, which persecuted suspected heretics including "false Christians," Marranos and Moriscos, people who converted to Christianity from Judaism and Islam to avoid persecution. The Inquisition would spread across the entire territory that would become Spain and beyond even those borders.

The expulsion of the infidels was accompanied by the confiscation of their property, despite the fact that they often made large donations to the Reconquista. As they were driven out of the Iberian Peninsula, the financial systems of states, intellectual fields of activity, and refined crafts began to decline.

The kingdoms of Portugal and England had entered into an alliance that gave the Portuguese great advantages over their rival neighbors, the Castilians, as well as other naval powers of the Mediterranean. Portugal would soon enter the Golden Age of its history, an era when it would become the prevailing leader among the European maritime powers. However, Portugal's coming Age of Discovery still lay in the future, promising glory for the monarchies of the Iberian Peninsula. After all, taxes and trade, especially with overseas countries, remained a predominant means of revenue.

In 1481, King Afonso V of Portugal died of the plague. His exploration and widespread conquests in North Africa early in his reign earned him his nickname "The African." Along with his accomplishments in Africa, Afonso V also had eyes on Castile. He even once claimed the throne of Castile and sought the hand of the princess, the future Queen Isabella, but it never came to fruition. His son, Joao II, officially inherited the throne upon his father's passing.

In Portugal, there was an assembly that represented the estates of the nobility, clergy, and bourgeoisie called the Cortes, a precursor of a parliament, but at that time they were not yet a major political force and could not seriously influence the decisions of the king, who could summon and dissolve the Cortes at will. As a rule, Portuguese kings convened the Cortes only in exceptional cases such as when they were going to introduce new taxes or change the basic laws of the kingdom. These issues were often coordinated with as many subjects as possible. The Cortes delegates not only considered the king's proposals but could also submit their own petitions to the royal council.

Having ascended to the throne, Joao II began to revise many of the charters of Afonso V and previous monarchs. Many of the affected nobles were in the Cortes, and this caused sharp discontent among the nobles and great opposition to the throne. Some even started secret negotiations with Queen Isabella of Castile.

Joao II understood what the implications of his actions would be. Therefore, he decided to get ahead of his enemies, to strike first at the most powerful factions in the kingdom. The most prominent was represented by the country's largest landowner, Fernando II, Duke de Braganza. Fernando II was highly esteemed by the late Afonso V, and he and the duke maintained a strong friendship throughout the monarch's life and reign.

Some historians believe that Duke de Braganza counted on the support of not only the aristocrats but also the other members of the Cortes in his endeavors to curtail the powers of the king. However, apart from the wealthy aristocracy, few actually shared his political views. Much of Portugal was aligned with the monarch and hoped for expanded trade that would add both wealth and new territories to the kingdom from unknown lands across the sea. This conflict between the king and his wealthiest subjects would come to a head in May of 1483, causing a widespread crisis across Portugal.

The navigator Vasco da Gama's journey to India around Africa still lay ahead. He would accomplish the task of the century for Portugal – finding a sea route to India, and gaining access to their riches: spices, silks, and other valuable goods. Da Gama's predecessors had already established a small number of trading posts in West Africa, and Portuguese explorers had just reached the equator. Trips further south remained voyages into the unknown. In those years, no one knew how far they would have to go to explore the coast of Africa, and Portuguese navigators were captivated by the challenge of finding an alternative sea route to India. Some suggested sailing to the west to reach India, and although Portuguese sailors were quite capable of such trips, they may not be affordable for the king. After all, without knowing the distance, it was impossible to estimate the cost of a voyage. The captains had to persuade the monarchs to take great risks in order to get the coveted riches of India.

The existence of other continents in addition to Europe, Asia, and Africa, and even inhabited by people, was still unknown to the enlightened powers.