Snooping 101

"So why did you lie about where you lived?" Alluka asked.

"Ah—Yeah, it was kind of awkward," Gon confessed with a smile. "We were still strangers and when you drove to Killua's apartment, I freaked out. Because... same building. What were the odds?"

Alluka burst into laughter. "Yeah, that is a weird coincidence. You could have just told me!"

"I barely knew you! And we were already driving away by the time I realized what was going on," he confessed. She nudged him in the arm, still giggling to herself as they reentered his apartment.

"So I take it Killua used your apartment to throw me off his trail," Alluka said.

"Ah, that..." Gon laughed, nervously, and explained how he'd cleaned Killua's flat the day he died. Inadvertently, he admitted to the fact that Killua was a messy person, which came across as sacrilegious to him.

Alluka smacked him upside the head for confusing the shit out of her.

With their unexpected hangout during Alluka's work hours, they resolved to pause the chat and resume at the cafe later. She borrowed Gon's phone to call Zushi and inform him of Killua's plans, and then, she donned her satchel.

At the door, Alluka threw her arms around him unexpectedly.

He swayed against the warm, soft weight of her. She smelled like spring flowers, and her hair was misted with argan oil. He loved the smell—it reminded him of his Auntie.

"What was that for?" he said as Alluka pulled away.

Her smile had tempered a fraction, as if one side had lost momentum. "I'm just really glad you're around," she said, and hopped off to the elevator. She waved just before dipping out of view.

Gon wavered a little, disoriented by the gentleness of her voice—like she'd been on the verge of tears. His lips wavered, so he pulled his bottom lip between his teeth and shut the door, locking it behind him.

Minutes later, Gon could be found sneaking out his fire escape window and padding gracelessly to Killua's floor. The metal stairs never failed to make a ruckus, so by the time he arrived, Killua's hand was retracting between the curtains from a fresh note.

Gon squinted at it. "'I'm not home.' Y-Yes you are!" He knocked on the glass with less force than Alluka likely would. "I want to talk to you! Please?"

He knocked three more times before lowering his hand. He folded his arms over the brick ledge, sighing. Just as his forehead dipped down to meet them, he perked up at the rattle of Killua's curtain hooks sweeping aside.

Gon's brief glance through Killua's door did little to prepare him for the state of Killua. His hair, now pushed back by a headband, revealed dense shadows under his easily-bruised eyes. They were puffy, red, and pathetic.

Gon's shoulders slumped as Killua glared at him, undid the lock, and hoisted the window up a tad.

"I'm not interested in talking right now," Killua said.

"I, um—" Quick! Think of something! "Alluka and I are getting dinner later. Would you... want to come with?"

While they'd agreed to a dinner without Killua, Gon had no other topics to convey when the rest of his mind was preoccupied with Killua, Killua, Killua in varying degrees of Gon's rehearsed monologue.

Killua's brows pinched and raised before giving a simple, "Um, no."

"O-Oh. Okay. Figured I'd ask," Gon said.

Death's Door // COMPLETED ✔जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें