Chapter 2: Zade Makes A Dad Joke

2286 words

This chapter might be little dull because it's a lot of repeated dialogue from TTC, just FYI.

Percy gaped at Artemis. "You- you're Artemis?"

I rolled my eyes at his stupidity and shot him a glowering look.

Grover, on the other hand, instead of gaping like an idiot sank to his knees.

"Th-thank you, Lady Artemis...I- Wow..." he stammered.

"Grover, get up!" snapped the spiky-haired girl. "We have bigger things to worry about!"

"Zade," I said, "scour the perimeter. Confirm we're in the clear."

Okay, Chief! he squawked, before soaring off into the sky.

"Okay, hold it." A girl with olive skin, black hair, and brown eyes was looking wildly around at all of us. "Who are you people?" And why" -she looked at me- "were you talking to that bird?"

"I think the better question is," I said, "who are you? Where are your parents?"

"I'm Bianca di Angelo," replied the girl. "My parents are dead." She glanced at the smaller boy next to her. He had black hair, olive eyes, and pale skin. "This is my little brother, Nico."

"Your parents aren't dead," said Raiden, who was standing next to Zoë. "One is a Greek God, and the other is a mortal."

Bianca stared at Raiden like she was deranged. "I'm sorry, what?"

"It is true," said Zoë. "Thy are demigods."

"I told you, Bianca!" exclaimed Nico. "I told you that girl had a goat leg!"

"Our lives are also dangerous," added the spiky-haired girl. "Monsters constantly hunt us."

"Oooh, oooh!" Nico raised his hand excitedly. "Is that what the manticore was? Did you kill it? That was totally sweet the way you shot it with those arrows!"

I sighed and exchanged an irritated look with Zoë. Boys were quite stupid, alright.

Artemis looked thoughtfully at Nico. "Hopefully, we have destroyed him for now. However, monsters are never truly ended. They simply reform repeatedly within the depths of Tartarus and must be hunted when they reappear."

Bianca shivered slightly.

"You'll need to come to camp," said the spiky-haired girl.

"Camp?" said Bianca blankly.

"Camp Half-Blood," Percy put in. "It's where demigods like us are trained to use our powers."

"She does not have to go to camp," I said. "There is another way."

"Indeed," agreed Zoë.

"There is not another way," spat the spiky-haired girl.

Zoë and the spiky-haired girl glared daggers at each other. Thankfully, before Zoë could start shooting arrows, Zade arrived back.

We're in the clear, Chief, he squawked, landing on my outstretched arm. No dangers to speak of, though I did pass some very angry squirrels on my way over. They were extremely nutty!

I snorted slightly with laughter but recovered myself.

"We have overwhelmed these young ones enough," Artemis declared. "Ainsley, Zoë, we will remain here for a few hours. Tend to the wounded. Assemble the tents. Grab our guests' possessions from the school. Bianca, I would like to speak with you alone in my tent."