04. Empty Corridors

Monica's POV:
"Sir, it is definitely a tempting opportunity and I am honored to be chosen as one of the competing candidates. " I acknowledged, sounding polite but somewhat taken aback.

"Yes Headmaster, this will be a great opportunity to develop our skills. I am really looking forward to it. Thank you for choosing me. I promise to give my best. " Emily Rhodes added, in a sickeningly sweet tone.
She could never get enough from flattering and kissing up to teachers, could she? I highly doubt it

" Of course. You both are the top students in our Artificial intelligence and Robotics Department, and are our first choices. The school is expecting great things from the both of you, and we all know that you wouldn't let us down. You will be having the complete freedom in the making of your projects and all funds will be supplied by the school. I suggest, you both start working from tomorrow,after school, in the Science Lab. It will be kept vacant until the completion of your projects and neither students nor teacher will be allowed admission, inside. I will make the necessary arrangements,and inform your AI teacher, Mrs. Lopez about it. That will be all, Miss Williams and Miss Rhodes. Thank you for participating." The Headmaster beamed at us, evidently cheerful at our agreement.

Emily and I stood up from our seats, "Thank you Sir, we promise to try our best " I ensured the headmaster and her smiled back at us, as we existed the Headmaster's Office.

No One's POV:
A very important, world wide science competition was coming up in two months time and Lady Queen High, being one of the most prestigious schools, in Florida, were one of the top contenders of the competition.

Artificial Intelligence is a very important subject in today's times and it is taking the world by storm due to its involvement in practically everything in daily life. Quite obviously though, Lady Queen High, had one of the strongest departments of AI and Robotics in all of Florida. Especially because, Professor Lopez was one of the most sought after teachers in this field, due to her vast knowledge about the subject, yet she chose to take up the job offer of Lady Queen High. That was another advantage for the school.

Currently the Headmaster had asked Monica and Emily to be the one of the representatives of their school for the competition. But there was a twist - Only one of them could participate.

The two girls had to build their individual projects, which would then be assessed by the Headmaster and his pannel of directors, and ultimately the 'better' project will be selected.

Which also leads to the fact that Emily and Monica had to compete against each other for the spot of the 'top-project'. This was just a bane as a boon. Emily already hated Monica enough. And now if the both of them were meant to compete against each other, head-on, it wouldn't be surprisingly if that ended up in blood. Emily despised Monica to her guts and the latter had more or less, similar feelings, to be honest.

Monica, rather, disliked Emily due to her narcissistic, know-it-all attitude, that's it. She did not have any particular hatred against her, whatsoever. They'd never have a proper conversation, before this either. They just knew each other from their academic ranks.

They were both civil, though, whenever it came to the rare, minor, back-and-forth classroom remarks that they shared, but that was all about it. Nothing more, nothing less.

They never ever believed that they would be finally meeting like 'this', as each other's competitors, for a valuable spot in a competition, which held global recognition. As exciting as it sounded, Monica especially did not have a pleasant feeling about it. Maybe it was her paranoia or gut feeling. She wasn't sure why she felt, that things might not end up good.
However, Monica decided against pondering over those negative thoughts and pushed those in the back of her mind.

Monica and Emily were walking back from the Headmaster's Office. Both were headed to the school's exit and finally go about their own ways. An awkward silence engulfed them and it felt suffocating. Neither of them tried to break it , though, as they were both unsure, how the other might react. The corridors were absolutely deserted, and the sound of their footsteps was all that could be heard. The campus looked pretty calm and peaceful, after school hours, but their uncomfortable silence wasn't helping at all.

Ultimately, Monica decided to make the first move. Mustering up her courage she said,
"Err, well, when do you decide to start working? " It came out soft, almost as a squeak.
Emily stopped on her tracks and turned to face Monica, which somewhat caught the latter off track.

"What does that bother you? For your knowledge, this is a competition, and we are competitors, I have nothing to do with you" Emily sneered as she said that.

To say the least, Monica was shocked, and dumbfounded. Does anyone have to be so rude in their first encounter? She had just asked a genuine question, and was so taken aback by the sharp reply that it took her some moments to register what happened, when she pulled herself together before saying " No of course not. We share the same classes and I thought that I might adjust some of my class timings with yours to create a new schedule for the project. That's all, no problem if you don't want to though, I'll manage. "
Monica ended with a tight smile, trying to sound polite, amidst her shock.

" You do that, because I'm not going to share my timings with you. Foolish of you to even think that I would do that. My project will be needing special precision and care, unlike yours. So I don't want your carelessness to ruin it. " Emily shot back sounding agitated.

Monica nodded, trying to look understanding, but deep down, she was also reaching her patience limit. No one had ever spoken so rudely with her before. Monica had always been polite and her classmates appreciated that-well except for Emily, of course.

Monica calmed herself down, as she did not want to get into any confrontation with Emily Rhodes. She knew better than to do that and dig her own grave.

As they were nearing the exit, Emily said, "Well, good luck then, cause you'll be needing that. May the best project win. " With that she stalked off, while Monica remained standing there, bewildered. She was not expecting. And before her realization returned, and she could say something back, Emily was already out of her sight.

Sighing, Monica resumed walking, mind filled with numerous thoughts, but the most prominent one being "She definitely hates me too much "

»»——⍟——««

Author's note
Hellooo beautiful readers, we have reached 50 views yayyy yayyy yayyy.
I'm so glad and so thankful. Thank you sooo muchh. I appreciate each one of you who has taken out time to read this stupid story. I'll try to make the plot more entertaining. If you like the story so far, please vote. New updates coming up. Stay tuned and thank you once again.
xoxo,
author