Preview

Sister Samantha walked down the dimly lit hall. The tray of tea cups and biscuits rattled as her hands shook, her destination was the room at the very end of the south wing corridor. The last rays of the sun shone through the freshly wiped windows of the hall. 

The things that Sister Samantha had heard from the other nuns sounded almost like wives tales told by the fire to scare the children away from headmistress Bertilas office. But now, as she walked past door after door, window after window, she finally realized what they were talking about.

The silence 

It was almost tangible

No place that Sister Samantha had ever stepped foot into - not even the chapel after hours - had been this quiet. 

She shuddered as she got to the end of the hall.

She could finally hear something from the other side, it was muffled by the thick oak door, but Sister Samantha could hear a little.

"Only 9 . . . shouldn't take . . . lord . . . 3 new . . . shoot! Now . . . ."

At this point, Sister Samantha was thoroughly freaked out, she had heard rumors about the headmistresses murmurings, but never what they consisted of.

As the murmuring continued, Sister Samantha gathered all the courage in her and softly knocked on the door.

"Come in," the voice called. 

Sister Samantha opened the large door with one hand and squinted her sea green eyes in the light of the room. Compared to the darkness of the hall, this was bright.

She timidly walked over to the desk, where, unlike expectations, a kind looking 60 - 65 year old woman sat at the desk pouring over a hefty pile of paperwork. As she sat the tray down on the desk, the headmistress looked up, she had a kind smile, but said nothing. 

As sister Samantha turned to leave, her curiosity got the better of her,"Mam, what was that you were mumbling about?"

The headmistress looked at her and almost hissed,"You don't ask questions!"

WIth that, sister Samantha walked out of the room, and practically sprinted down the hallway.