Tears of pain Part-1

Zahra POV

" When are you coming back to college? " Asked Qizra.

" I can't really say the exact day. But maybe by the end of this month. " I replied after looking at the calendar on my study table.

" Bro, you are missing so many classes. I know it's not right but atleast think about your studies. "

I nodded and said,
" I know Qizra. But I can only come back when everything will be fine at home. "

" Why? Is something wrong? " Qizra asked worried.

" Not as such. But I think there will be. " I  replied in a low voice. How can she understand my silence? She is my best friend. I thought only to be disturbed by the door bell ring.

" Listen, I'll call you later. Lawyer has come. " I informed Qizra.

" Fine. But if you need anything, call me. " I smiled at her words and replied,

" Yeah, bye. "

{ Well, before continuing, let me introduce myself, I am Zahra Naaziya Khan. Due to the battle of naming me Zahra or Naaziya, my parents decided to go with both. Hence, my big name. Zahra means Flower, Heaven, light breeze and Princess. Naaziya means Pride. Both of which I was for my parents. Their Princess, their Pride. I am studying BHMS and is currently in 4th year. I came home after exams and viva were over for 3rd year. I didn't want to come but the news of my father being in death bed made me run back to home.
I'll tell you all more about me later. For now, let's continue. }

I walked out of my room and looked at the Lawyer seated in the hall. I sat beside my step mother, Rumaisa Khan.

" It's for you, Zahra. Your father has asked me to give you this. " The Lawyer passed a black file to me with the name of my father on it, Mr. Bilal Khan.

" Open it. " I heard my step mother say.

I nodded and slowly opened the file and read every word.

Tears started to form in my eyes when I read,
...'all my property except the main house goes to my daughter, Zahra Naaziya Khan.'

" Papa " A cry came out when I whispered.

Flashback

" It's all because of you. "

" Zahra, calm down. "

" How can I? You ruined my life. Because of you I hate all men. I hate you. I hate you for getting married again. This woman has ruined my life. It's all because of you. She only cares for your property, not you, not me. "

" Zahra!! She is not like this. "

" Ohh really... Then you should think before leaving me alone with her again. " I turned to walk towards the door of my room when I heard,

" Zahra!! " Papa called.

" Look at her upbringing, Bilal. She is just like her mother. " My step mother said.

" YOU!!! You were responsible for my upbringing after my mother died when I was 4 years old. And YOU are responsible for who I am today. It's my love for my mother that I am not saying bad words to you, or else you would have seen my evil side. " I shouted. I could hear my heartbeats. Taking deep breaths, I walked to my room and locked myself.

And that was the last day when I talked to my father with whole heart.
It's was casual salam and how are you conversation after that until I heard my father was on death bed.

Flashback ends

I couldn't believe it. My father left so much for me. He wanted to see me become a better human being and also a doctor.
Even though he has a daughter with my step mother, Omera, who is 4 years old, like I was when I first met my step mother.

" What nonsense is this? " I looked at my step mother who shouted.

" He only left me this house. Is that all he gave me and my daughter? "

" Yes. He has also saved a few amount of money on the name of your daughter. It's in bank and will only be given to her when she will turn 18 and get admission to college. The payment for college fees can be paid through that. Till then, no one can use the money. " The Lawyer informed.

" What? " I saw her shocked.

" And he got all the properties in her name? "

" Yes. "

" And nothing of mine? "

" This house. That too is under your daughter's name but you are nominee until she turns 18. "

" I hate this man. How could he do this to us? " I was looking at my step mother who was in disbelief. She looked at me with her anger big eyes and said,

" You!! It's all because of you!! " She shouted.

" You will pay me back for what I did for your upbringing. "

" Mam, this kind of behaviour towards her will make all your daughter's property and money under Zahra's name. The condition applies that Zahra stays safe and healthy. No injury or harm should be given to her. Any harm and all money to Zahra even if your daughter is 18 and above. " The Lawyer informed and this made me cry more.

" Papa, you did this even when I was rude to you. I am sorry. "

" You should have said it to him. He wouldn't have died then. " My step mother said.

" I did. "

I remember I said that to him when was in his study room and I went to give him some snacks. I did that that I am sorry for being a bad daughter. He didn't reply. But he did agreed for me to study in Bhopal. 200kms away from home, from him.

I was walking to my room with the file after the Lawyer left.

" Zahra! " Rumaisa aunty called my name. I stood still. I had a feeling she would hold my hair and pull it while throwing me on floor. As I turned, I saw her hands towards me, closer. But she stopped when she heard,

" Assalamualaikum. " I looked at the person. Jamil Bhai.

" Walaikum assalam " I replied and saw Rumaisa aunty walking towards him and hugging him while saying,
" Walaikum assalam. How was the trip? Have you eaten anything? "

" Yes, the trip was fantastic. We all had so much fun. Bachelor party and then Reyan's wedding. Everything went good. And I have got so many gifts for you. Let me give them. "

" Give it later, Jamil. Have lunch first. " He smiled and looked at me.

" Zahra! It's been long time we met. You were so busy in college. " I nodded. And said,

" I have some work. You eat. We will talk later. " Saying that I excused myself.

In my room, I sat on the chair and looked at the file once again.

" No matter what, I need to make myself stable and independent like Papa wanted. " I said to myself and started packing. After all, it's been over a month since Papa left me.
Now, I am orphan. Thinking about this gave me chills and tears started dropping one by one.

" Why??!!! "

" Why did you both left me here, all alone?? I have no one... "

I kneeled down and started crying with all the memories I had with my parents.

*****

Assalamualaikum
How are you?
How's the story going?
Are you enjoying reading the story?

Please like and comment and enjoy reading further.

Iram Khan

Published on 08/03/2024