6. 𝔹𝕣𝕠𝕜𝕖𝕟 ℙ𝕣𝕠𝕞𝕚𝕤𝕖

~ 1.6k words ~

(Flashback)

Bruce's pov
"95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100! Here I come!" I playfully yelled out with a chuckle. I got out of the corner I previously stood in and began searching for them.

"Oh peanuts! Where are youuu~" I tried to sound creepy but couldn't help but laugh between the words. This entire day has been perfect. A day full of fun and laughter.

"You can't hide from the all mighty batman, you little gremlings!" Once those words left my mouth I heard giggles coming from my bedroom. I smiled in realization and slowly made my way into the room. I was as silent as a mouse as I looked around my room, searching for anything suspicious..

"Do you think he heard us..?" A light voice whispered. "I don't know...maybe he didn't and walked past?" A slightly darker voice whispered back. I looked around until my gaze landed on my bed. My bed with very clumpy covers...

I smile to myself as I silently made my way to the bed, making sure to bring the element of suprise with me. I slowly grabbed the tip of the covers. After a few seconds I quickly pulled the covers off the two small figures with a loud roar.

"AAAHHH!" The two children screamed before laughing as the quickly tried to escape. I didn't give them the chance as I jumped onto my large bed and wrapped my arms around them. As I had them trapped in my arms I started began atticking them with tickles, making them laugh out loud.

"Daddy, stop!" My four year old daughter giggled as she tried desperately to remove my fingers from her belly. I looked over at my 12 year old adoptive son who was laughing just as must while trying to escape my tickle attack.

"What's the magic word..?" I grinned as I kept tickling my children. Only laughter and giggles was heard for a short while until my son yelled out smiling. "Strawberry jello!"

"Ugh, darn it, I thought you forgot.." I chuckled as I stopped tickling them but kept holding them close to me. "You two are terrible hiders by the way."

"Hey! It's not our fault you're the worlds best detective, daddy!" My little girl pouted as she sassily crossed her arms over her chest. "Yeah, (Y/n)'s right! You always win in hide and seek" Dick frowned a bit.

"Aww come on, peanuts, don't be like that. How about I teach the two of you how to become the best at hiders in the world, hm? How does that sound, kiddos?"

Their small yet big eyes light up once the offer left my mouth. "You mean just like you..?" Dick mumbled with a wide smile plastered onto his adorable little face. My heart sank a little as fearful thoughts entered my mind. Thoughts about the two people I love the most out in the brutal Gotham City by my side..

"No," I shook my head before a small smirk appeard, "better than me." Both Dick and (Y/n)'s eyes lit up as they looked at each other with big grins.

"Thank you, daddy!" (Y/n) was the first to speak up as she wrapped her tiny arms around my neck, hugging my tightly. I groaned a little at the sudden force but chuckled as I quickly adapted to the affection my daughter was blessing me with. "Your welcome, my little pearl."

"Knock, knock" a familiar voice spoke out from the door frame. The three of us turn our gazes to the door and see Alfred smiling at us.

"Alfred, is everything alright?" I ask while still holding my kids close to me. Alfred chuckles a bit as he looks at in awe before responding to my question. "Everything is wonderful, Master Bruce. I was just letting you know that dinners ready," Alfred smiled warmly.

"Yay! Food!" (Y/n) grinned as she pulled away and jumped off the bed, running off with her little legs towards Alfred. Alfred chuckled as he leaned down and picked her up, holding her over his hip. "To the dining room!" (Y/n) pointed her finger down the hall that lead to the kitchen and dining room. "Right away, Lady (Y/n)!" Alfred chuckled and started rushed out of the room and down the hall with my giggling daughter in his arms.

I chuckled at the two before turning my attention back to Dick. He still looked very happy about what I told him and his sister just now.

"Do you really think that I could be a superhero like you one day?" Dick asked, his eyes big and full of hope. I smiled warmly at him as I placed my big hand on his small shoulder.

"You are my son. You can be anything you want to be, Richard." Dick smiled widely and pulled me into a tight hug. I wrapped my arms around him and soothingly rubbed his back. "And whatever you choose to do or be, I will always support you."

"But...what if I run into the Joker? O-or what if you, (Y/n) or Alfred are in danger and I won't be strong enough to save you..?" Dick nearly whispered as he began doubting himself, his confidence slowly fading away.

"Me and Alfred are strong and very capable to take care of ourselves. As for your sister...you, me and Alfred will always be there to protect our little pearl." I comforted him as I tried to give him the motivation I knew he would need.

"Yeah! You, me and Alfred! The bat trio! Always there to save the day!" Dick smiled widely as he stood up in the bed while posing like a typical superhero would. I laugh as I get off the bed and playfully throw him over my shoulder. Dick laughed as I tickled his sides.

"Damn right! They are fearless, they are unstoppable, the very best of the best!" I shouted with a big grin as I rushed down the hall with my laughing son over my shoulder.

~ end of flashback ~

I sat in a chair next to Alfreds hospital bed as I stared at the framed picture in my shaking hands...

It was a picture of all four of us. From before Dick left and never came back. From before I joined the justice league, leaving no time for my own daughter. From the time when we were so close and happy. ...From when we were a family.

I only told Dick about my secret. I still remember the confused expression he got when I told him to leave (Y/n) out of it. He didn't understand why only he was given the oppertunity to rise as a superhero and not his little sister.

The reason was because of my own fear. My fear of loosing her to him. Not a day goes by where I don't think about Harvey. I know he had already grown attached to her as he thought she was his own daughter. I know he's out there alive and that he's hungry for revenge. I would never be able to forgive myself if anything happened to (Y/n), to my little pearl. But it's already happened. My sweet girl is out there somewhere and I'm sitting here, feeling more helpless then ever.

I made that promise to Dick all those years ago, a promise to keep her safe. I'm so sorry, Dick. I failed her. Just like I failed you..

A single tear ran down my cheek and landed on the picture.

I failed you all...

"M-Master Bruce..?" Alfreds deep voice spoke up from the hospital bed.

"Alfred.."