Prologue

"This was a mistake," Number Five muttered.

           The human beside her didn't hear, her concentration strong on the road. Hands gripping the wheel tightly as she navigated the highway. Number Five stared out the car window as her insides tied themselves into knots.

What was she thinking? Was she really cut out for this? Pretending to be someone who she has no knowledge of, in a world she knows nothing about? What if she gets found out? Will she have enough energy to shift? What if they bring her back to Belos?

Number Five continued to work herself up. Her breath quickening as adrenaline started running through her body. Her heart began to rapidly. Her heart pulsed so vigorously it felt like her chest would cave in on itself.

"—ija, Mija. Luz!"

Number Five jumped in her seat, snapping her head to the left. The car —as the older human had called it— had stopped on the side of a dirt path.

The human stared at Number Five, her eyes filled with worry for the doppelgänger. The human's gaze only seemed to worsen the knots Number Five had been tying in her intestines.

"Are you okay Luz—" the Human asked— "you're sweating like crazy."

Number Five bit her lip. The lump in her throat was so hard to swallow Number Five was worried she had accidentally created an actual mass in her throat.

           Number Five gripped her thighs, digging her nails into her skin as she squirmed under the human's watchful eyes. Even though Number Five felt this was wrong —stealing the life of someone— revealing herself now was an absolute recipe for disaster. Steeling her nerves, Number Five looked the human in the eyes with false resolve.

"Yes—" squeaked the shapeshifter— "alright as my right hand, partner."

           Number Five cringed, sweat trickling down as she screamed at herself for trying to make a joke.

The hunan stared at her blankly, "why are you southern?"

Number Five slumped in her seat, her face turning red out of embarrassment. The human's gaze was petrifying. It felt as if she was staring for hours.

"It's okay to be nervous, Luz." Suddenly said the human as she gently placed a hand on Number Five's shoulder.

"I know I said this at the house—" the human continued— "but I truly want you to know that I am proud of you for doing this. Breaking out of your comfort zone is scary for any one of any age. You may think you'll be alone for the next three months, but I am positive that if you try you'll make some friends and won't even notice as the months pass by."

As the human finished speaking, the pit in Number Five's stomach finally stopped growing , although it was no longer a pit, but a cavern of guilt. Although there was good news. She'd be alone with people for the next three months. That means no one would suspect if her personality was different from this Luz girl. This is perfect.

           "And Luz—" said the human— "please know that even though I'm your mom, you can still speak to me about anything that you need to."

The human finished speaking with a strange smile. It was like that one lady's smile. The one that...

Number Five shook her head and nodded at the humans words.

           "Thanks, mom." Number Five said, as her eyes began to get heavy. The adrenaline from her earlier escapades must have been lessening. She was out in seconds.
——————————————————————————————————————————————————

Author's Note: Hi DGW here, thank you for reading and please criticize my work as much as you can. I want you guys to enjoy this. I have a few days off of school soon so I'll be writing during then. Chapter one is already in the works.

With that said, have a wonderful day/afternoon/evening everyone. Stay safe, drink water, and don't play league of legends.

DeadGodwalking signing out.

Word Count: Six-hundred Sixty Three (663)