Prologue ~ The Great Disaster

Explosions ripped through the chilly afternoon air. People were running, shouting, and diving for cover, though sometimes, they didn't make it. This particular piece of the war had been going on for months, and no one was winning. Neither side seemed to be getting any weaker, and yet crumpled bodies littered the ground. Gradually, all the noise died down. Everyone had stopped and was standing up straight. No one fired. A distant, low rumble filled everyone's ears. There were fearful murmurs of confusion, and some stepped back or dove for cover, as if that might save them. A few here and there had their eyes squeezed shut, their hands clasped tightly, and were whispering something inaudible to those around them. The rumble grew quickly louder, and now screams could be heard along with it. Horror struck the soldiers' hearts and churned in their stomachs in the tense moments of waiting. Then chaos erupted - Buildings thought to be strong collapsed as if made of sand, roaring winds seemed to tear apart the sky, and screams, shouts, and cries were drowned out by the sound of metal, stone, and concrete being ripped apart. A few of the guns went off, but not at their enemies. The ground split wide open, swallowing the remains of buildings and of the war. Whatever else happened is lost in time. The few who survived then hid their eyes, and those who saw more are long gone. That day is now referred to as the Great Disaster, the day the sun turned to hide his face forever from the ruined world. Many lost the will to go on, as the Disaster left almost nothing... But there are some yet who still hold that drive for survival... that instinct that kept the world going up until now. Not all believe that this is the time to give up, though only time will tell if they were right.