→ тwo

➔ WORD OF THE CHAPTER: ball

୨୧ ────────────────── ୨୧

I was at my locker, figuring out how to open it. It's not any different from my old school, but for some reason i'm struggling. I'm trying to clang it open, quietly. Not trying to draw attention. I literally put the right code!

"Need any help," someone asks. I look beside me and see the two boys from earlier in my class.

"Help? Uhh... s'il vous plait," i smile, stepping aside. "I'll take that as a yes..." the blonde boy comes forward and helps with my locker.

He finally gets it open. "Oh! Merci." i smile at him. Whenever i get excited or don't think, i speak my native language. It's a habit.

"Oh, i know what that means. You're welcome," he smiles slightly at me.

"Well, I'm Berger and that's charlie," the taller one says. I nod and continue to smile. I think for a minute, "...nice to meet you!"

"Yo, you know you should-" Berger gets interrupted by a girl's voice. Then i get surprised when i felt arms wrapped around my shoulder. I look beside me and see Lizzie. I smiled at her.

"Charlie. Berger. Leave the poor girl alone," the girl sighs, shaking her head. "Lizzie, we aren't even bothering her," charlie huffs.

"Not yet," the girl emphasizes. "The accusations, man," Berger lifts his arms up, offended.

"Come on, y/n. We can go meet Maya," Lizzie tells me. Ohhh maya!

"Okay," i say. She starts guiding me away, "Bye boys!"

I look back at them, "Au revoir!"

———

"Let's go to the baseball game. Heard it would be fun," lizzie shrugs. "Baseball," i questioned. "It's a sports game that one boy throws a ball and the other hits and run. Then the other team tries to catch it," lizzie poorly explains. I was familiar with it.. didn't know so much about it though. Was it popular here in the states?

"Your voice sounds familiar, now that i think about it," maya looks at me. "My voice," i question. She nods. "You're Y/n... what's your last name," she asks. "Monet," i smile. "Oh my god. You're the girl from seventh grade. I'm Maya. I was in France for a little bit then moved," she explains, smiling a bit. "uhh..." I said still confused. "I gave you pink shoes for your birthday," she says. My eyes lit up. "Oh! Maya! I remember now," i smile at her. "Awhh what a cute reinion... but.. what about the game," lizzie circles with her pointer finger.

Maya agrees and so do i. I wanted to know what was baseball like. I know i'm pretty sure i've heard of it, maybe i'm living under a rock.

———

We took a seat on some bleachers, facing the field.

Lizzie pulls out her phone, "So my elementary BFF just showed back up after, like... years of traveling the world. so jealous," lizzie says to her camera. "And this is my new BFF, from france. super jealous," she expresses.

She places her phone on her lap, still holding onto it. "What's your at," she asks us. "I'm not a social media person," maya tells her. She then looks at me. "Social media," i question. "Instagram? Snapchat," she lists. My eyebrows shoot up in realization. "Oh! I'm not allowed, yet," i shake my head.

Strict parents, but hopefully my dad lets me because of the divorce, he may let it slide.

"What..." Lizzie gasps at our responses. "Okay.. what are your interests," she asks. "Uhm.. lock picking, Norwegian Death Metal, and I can field-strip an M4 blindfolded," maya nods her head. Lizzie looks at her with wide eyes, silently. "O-okay..." she looks at me, with more hopefulness. "interests," i asked. I think that means what i like.

"Uh.. y/f/a.. and reading," i smile. "Okay..." she looks back to the field as the game was beginning.

———

It was 11-0.

I don't think we'll be winning this.

I can see Charlie walking up to the mound.

"Who. is. that," maya says, looking at the big guy walking with his bat to the batter's box.

"That is Forrest Deal. They call him "The Sequoia,'" she told her.

"Now pitching in... Charlie Kincaid."

A boy speaks up beside Lizzie, "I heard he bullies his own parents."

Another speaks up beside me, making me get startled. "I heard that his stare is so deadly he can't even look himself in the mirror," he said.

I look back at the field. Charlie looks nervous. Lizzie holds up her phone to record, "Let's go Charlie! You got this!"

Charlie at the mound. Forrest guy batting. Berger the catcher.

"Didn't know this was the Peewee League."

"Didn't know they allowed steroids in middle school."

"Please, don't kill my friend."

Charlie gets ready to throw the ball. He lifts his leg and throws the ball.

The sequoia hits the ball straight to his lower stomach. Charlie kneels then falls to the ground, clearly hurt.

ooh. yikes.

Lizzie, Maya, and I's facial expressions were all similar. Yikes.

"Charlieeee!!" Berger runs to Charlie.

"His momma gon' be mad.."

———

I was on my way home now. I opened the door to my house.

"Dad! I'm home," i call out to him. He appears from the kitchen entrance. "Hi, sweetheart. How's your first day," he smiles. I walk to the kitchen and sit on one of the stools. "Eventful! I went to a baseball game after. Ended not so good. We lost and a kid probably damaged his bladder," my lips pressed in, making an awkward face.

"I met new friends, though! Lizzie and Maya! Maybe Charlie and Berger too, haven't talked much to them though, but they're really nice," i told him. "That's good to hear," my dad places my food in front of me.

"Oh and get this! Remember my best friend from seventh grade? That's Maya! I can't believe it," i smile even wider. "Really? Wow.. that's like some crazy fate right there," he chuckles.

"It sure is!"

୨୧ ────────────────── ୨୧

words: 1008