CHAPTER 4

''why does it hurt?''

As we strolled past rows of occupied beds in the hospital ward, I was drawn to Nick's reaction whenever he heard a wheeze or cough from the patients. Without fail, he would visibly flinch, clearly affected by the sounds. The wheezing and coughing seemed to unsettle Nick deeply. He tightly clutched the bag of food and took cautious, measured steps as we approached his mother's bedside.

I hesitated before deciding to approach him to offer comfort, feeling a sense of unease in the familiar surroundings. Memories I'd rather forget resurfaced, but I summoned my courage and gently took hold of Nick's hand, prying it away from his bag. Without saying a word, I tried to convey reassurance, silently assuring him that things would get better.

I may not have had anyone to hold my hand or comfort me, but I was happy I was there for Nick. I gave him a nod and smiled. He smiled back, taking a deep breath and started to take bold steps until he reached his mother's bed. She was sleeping, breathing slowly with a bit of wheeze coming out of her mouth. Nick held his mother's hand and kissed it, rubbing her face affectionately.

I suggested, "Shouldn't we come back later? She is sleeping." I knew Roselle needed all the rest she could get. Nick let out a heavy sigh, his shoulders shaking. I could tell he was on the verge of tears, but knowing Nick, he would never cry in front of his mother, especially when there was a chance of her waking up to see it.

As Nick prepared to reply, a faint voice called out to him, catching our attention. I glanced over to see Roselle, wearing a gentle smile directed at her son. Her expression reminded me of the woman at the lake with a scar on her forehead. Despite the turmoil she was facing, she exuded an air of calm and reassurance for her son. I struggled to contain my emotions and turned away, hoping to shield my inner turmoil from her gaze. However, she always had a way of seeing through my facade.

I heard her call my name. After composing myself, I put on my best smile and turned towards her. I kneeled beside Nick and took her hands.

I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. I tried to swallow the lump in my throat to see if I would be able to say a word after that, but that didn't help at all. I could only smile, although I could feel my lips wavering.

Roselle spoke but in a weak voice. Her voice was once filled with energy, but now it was feeble. I could still remember how she ran into the burning building to save me, fed me food that was meant for her, and pretended that she had eaten.

"Why? Why did you do it?"

I had so many questions to ask and things to tell her, but I could not voice them out. I only smiled as she said sweet words to us, congratulating us on our anniversary. She remembered! She raised her weak hands and pulled our heads close to hers for an embrace. She was comforting us.

None of us spoke until Roselle dozed off. We then gently placed her hands in a comfortable position. Just as we finished, the doctor walked in.

"Oh, you're here, I'm glad you came, I want to talk to you alone," the doctor said smiling at Nick.

I nodded and was about to step back when Nick stopped me.

"No, I want him to stay, I..." his voice broke, I took his hand and squeezed it, I looked at the doctor in anticipation. She nodded and led us into a different room.

I was already dreading the news, but I did my best not to show any emotion. Nick needs all the support he could get. We saw the doctor drop her notebook and pen. She took a deep breath and turned to us, this time she didn't smile, there was this sad look in her eyes, I already knew what was coming, I looked at Nick, I could still see the hope in his eyes, he still hoped for good news.

"I'll be brief. Unfortunately, Nick, she's not going to make it," she said, looking at Nick.

I watched Nick's body shake, I held his hand and he took a deep breath, his eyes were red but he shed no tears.

"Is there anything you can do?" I was surprised he could say that with his voice breaking. The doctor shook her head.

"We don't have the facilities to take care of her illness, you should spend all the time you have with her and make some good memories," she said, patting him on the shoulder before exiting the room, I turned to Nick.

"We can come back this..." Before I could finish, he stepped away from me and was already heading for the door. I ran after him.

"Where are you going?" I grabbed his hand before he stepped out of the infirmary, but he pulled harder, pulling us out of the infirmary. But I stopped him again.

"What are you thinking? Where are you going?" I asked him, I needed to know before he did something stupid.

"To find Cage," he replied as he walked past me.

"What? Cage the red teeth?" I followed him, I was in shock, I could not believe that the first thing he would do after our talk would be to go into danger.

" Yes," he replied with a quick stride, I jerked him back.

"We talked about this, for fuck's sake."

"Yes, we did, Nero!" He shouted, "And I don't have to listen to anything you have to say," he jabbed at my chest in anger, and I swatted his hand away.

"You don't care about me! You only rejected such an idea because you're jealous of Cage." He shouted.

"Jealous of him?" I stared at him in disbelief.

"Yes, you don't always listen to me, but if this idea was Tim's, you'd be running around like the whore you are, licking his ass" Yes, I know he wasn't thinking, and I knew he didn't mean the things he said, but the things he said hurt, but I tried not to show how much it hurt me, I've been called a whore all my life, by my father, my brother, now I'm being called one by my boyfriend, despite how hurt I was, I brushed it off, I took a deep breath and smiled softly at him, I reached for him.

"You're not thinking rationally right now, let's go back inside Nick."

He steps out of my reach and it hurts, why does it hurt when I care?

"No, I'm going to Cage and I'm taking my mum with me, to the place he's talking about, I don't care if you come with us".

"For fuck's sake!" I shouted, "You're putting yourself in danger, think about your mum, what..." I was cut off by the next thing he said.

"I'm thinking of her, the only person not thinking of her is you, Nero!"

"Wha..."

"Just because your mum is dead, doesn't mean I want my mum like that."

That hurt, it hurt a lot.

"I'm going to Cage and I'm taking my mum with me."

"Fine, I don't care anymore!" I shouted behind his back.

"Did you ever care?" he said over his shoulder and walked away.

I froze in shock, unable to take my eyes off his retreating figure. I staggered backwards, my eyes widening in disbelief. I stood there for what felt like an eternity, trying to regain my composure. After taking a few deep breaths, I finally mustered the courage to make my way back to the half-destroyed building that I called home.

As I entered the room, I reclined on the bed I had salvaged from the belongings left behind by a wealthy family. I stared at the blank wall, my eyes wide open, until I eventually took a deep breath. There was this voice in my head calling me a fool for thinking of doing this.

I am determined to go back for Nick, despite the risks involved. The mere thought of losing another person is something I cannot bear. As I stood up, my mind was already racing with various plans and strategies to save Nick from the ominous threat of the red teeth.

Why am I doing this? I found myself questioning my actions, but I couldn't stop myself from moving. As I hastened towards the door, that was lacking its frame, I bumped into a soft but hard body, almost losing my balance. Thankfully, I was steadied by the reassuring grip of a pair of sturdy hands.