𝐱𝐢𝐯. 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡, 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐞

chapter fourteenthrough life and death, part one

chapter fourteen
through life and death, part one

        JAIME FELT LIKE he was on cloud nine.

        Even when he was interrupted by his Uncle Rudy, his upbeat attitude didn't move an inch. Perhaps, he was thrilled, for more reasons than one. As they stepped out of the room, he followed behind, letting her take the lead. And as she walked in front, he couldn't help himself, whispering to his uncle, his voice sparked with delight. This is the happiest he's been in the past two days.

       And as they all join together in Ted Kord's lair, their emotions started to feel heavy, weighing them down, one by one. As Rudy stated before, he only needed an ample amount of time, putting his impressive skills to use, cracking the various codes enforced to keep out unwanted visitors. That didn't hinder Rudy, whatsoever.

Everything is going to be okay.

          If that's the case, then why is Jaime's mind telling him otherwise?

Now, with everyone's undivided attention, Rudy returned to his previous position, situating himself at the computer desk. "Okay," He quickly lets out, ready to disclose his findings. "I've gone through the files," A faint tint of uncertainty laced in his voice.

Feeling a sudden rush of nervousness, Jaime remained close to Rudy, counting down the minutes to the normalcy of his life. This is it, he assures himself, aiming to celebrate once he's set free. What is he going to do first? What should he even do? He's not entirely sure, but all he knows is that he will not rest until he's no longer the chosen one.

As expected, Rudy got straight to business. "So, Ted had a professor, this guy named Dan Garrett. The Scarab chose this Garrett guy before it chose you, Jaime."

Enough time wasn't granted to process the sensitive information. He wasn't the only one? There's someone else out there? He could only imagine how Ted Kord felt during that time, choosing the scarab but instead, the scarab didn't choose him—a next worthy candidate was deemed as the successor.

      Rudy continued speaking anyway, unaware of his nephew's thoughts. "And pinche Ted, ran tests on him to map out how the scarab would react to the human body." At this point in time, everyone's attention is focused on the same view, a view being displayed on the various computer screens located in the lair. One of the computers, in particular, showcased diagrams of a human body, belonging to Dan Garrett. Years of secret files, protected by Ted Kord, through life and death.

      "So, once this Scarab goes up someone's ass..."

      Jaime, clearly flustered, denied the accusation made by his uncle. Did he really have to bring that up again? Was it necessary?