𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

✵ • ✵ • ✵ • ✵

》𝕐𝕆𝕌 𝕋ℍ𝕀ℕ𝕂 𝕋ℍ𝔸𝕋 𝕐𝕆𝕌'ℝ𝔼 𝕋ℍ𝔼 𝕊𝕌ℕ《

》𝕋ℍ𝔼 𝕎ℍ𝕆𝕃𝔼 𝕎𝕆ℝ𝔻 ℝ𝔼𝕍𝕆𝕃𝕍𝔼𝕊 𝔸ℝ𝕆𝕌ℕ𝔻 𝕐𝕆𝕌《

✵ • ✵ • ✵ • ✵

SAND AND PEBBLE BEACHES

Crashing waves.

The celestial melody of Annie's wind chimes.

Suddenly, a galling moan fills the air, briefly pulling him out of his thoughts.

As his companion for the evening tightens her grip on him, he does his best to try and mentally disappear while indulging her with an obligatory hum of faux pleasure.

Fruit tarts.

Salt water.

Beautiful sunsets.

His mother's laughter.

Finnick Odair. The youngest victor in the history of the Hunger Games. Capitol Darling. Capitol plaything.

The games hadn't stopped after he left that arena; they only transitioned into new territory. The arena was now his life, one he would never escape from. He had fought so valiantly to live, only to come back to a reality in which most days he wished he was dead.

However, these fantasies didn't plague his mind from the start. Upon his initial arrival back in the real world, he struggled with the same anxieties and depressive episodes that any victor that came before him had dealt with. Your win came at the cost of several lives lost, making your survival riddled with guilt. Still, he eventually managed to find some peace in the fact that he was able to return home to his loved ones.

Surrounded and supported by them, things slowly got better.

But even that could only last so long.

After his sixteenth birthday, he reached the stark realization that peace would now be an abstract concept. People like him—survivors, if that's really what they were—gave up the notion of peace. They traded it for their victory in the arena. For their lives.

Finnick Odair. Son to Ronan and Meredith. Loyal friend. A human being. None of that mattered. He was now reduced to an object. Used and abused by the same institution that brought him to this point.

The desire with which the people of the Capitol looked upon him was not truly about his physicality. He was all the right things: handsome and charming, but their desire had little to do with that. They wanted to conquer him, and for the right price, they could.

Anybody could, and anybody did.

Man. Woman. Other.

It didn't matter to them, and truthfully, it made no difference to him either. He viewed all of them exactly the same. Monsters. Beasts. And with their gaudy getups and harsh appearances, they looked the part. They were the objects of true nightmares, except this wasn't something he'd ever wake up from.

Still, as vile as he viewed them, he saw himself in an even worse light. The degradation he suffered at their hands had long taken its toll on him. The only way he got through any of it was by fantasizing about what was waiting for him on the other side.

He liked to imagine, should he grow the courage to stop playing their games and take his final breath at his own hands, what would be waiting for him.

His confidence in there being an afterlife was somewhat lacking. Such a notion seemed overly hopeful, and almost all hope he once possessed had been crushed along with his spirit over time. But he held on tightly to what little hope remained—to the idea that after suffering as much as he had in this life, there had to be something greater waiting for him. Had to be. If there was, he knew what it would look like, and in moments such as tonight, where he was forced to warm the bed of some Capitol beast, he'd escape his own mind by thinking of all the elements that would make his afterlife a well-earned, peaceful one.

Sand and pebble beaches.

The celestial melody of Annie's wind chimes.

Fruit tarts.

His mother's laughter.

And most importantly, no one and nothing that would remind him of the Capitol.

AUTHORS NOTE: 

Hello to anyone who has decided to click into this story. Thank you for giving this a chance. I originally published 'Of Vanity and Corruption' on a different fanfiction site way back in 2013, but I was a very young writer and didn't put that much planning into the plot, and the story ended up (not being very good) going unfinished all these years. However, the characters were never all that far from my mind, and I've really wanted to revamp this story and do it justice. I've always thought there were more themes that could have been touched on and more that could have been said with this story, so after reworking the entire thing (and changing many of the details, including the original female character's name), I'm excited to give this another go.

A pairing between a victor and a person from the Capitol has always intrigued me, considering they are truly worlds apart. But I think that's the fun element of it all. There is so much that the characters can learn from one another, and it gives such great space for major character growth. I'm looking forward to exploring that and so much more this second time around, and I hope that whoever is out there reading this enjoys the journey.

𝐃𝐈𝐒𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐌𝐄𝐑:

➣All rights to 'The Hunger Games Trilogy', books and movies; plots and characters belong to their respective owners, including but not limited to the brilliant Suzanne Collins. I only claim ownership of my original characters.

➣All graphics use copyrighted material. Copyrighted material is used through the Fair Use Act.

𝐓𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐆𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆:

VIOLENCE, VULGAR LANGUAGE, SEXUAL CONTENT, DRUG AND ALCOHOL USE, SUBSTANCE ABUSE, MENTALL ILLNESS MENTIONS. TYPICAL GORE FOR THG. PLEASE READ AT YOUR OWN RISK. WARNINGS WILL BE INCLUDED ON EVERY CHAPTER.