Chapter 1 | A New Journey

3rd of June

The thrusters of the large cargo spaceship let out a final, quiet roar as they cooled down. With a gentle thud, the spacecraft settled onto SpacePort II of the Cyan Port. The familiar scent of burnt fuel momentarily filled the air. Having docked the ship with practiced ease, Meeko Kylonos felt he was truly mastering the role of being a cargo shipper and pilot. Exiting the cockpit, he descended the metallic ramp, his boots meeting the firm ground of the planet Hentoxa. The flight had been long, and his relief at being back on solid ground was comforting.

The view from the Cyan Port was nothing short of breathtaking. A beautiful rocky and sandy coastline stretched along the horizon, adjacent to the shimmering blue ocean. Towering structures of gleaming steel beams and rugged, crystalline domes paint the skyline coming from the capital city of the Comet Cosmos, Cyan. The port itself was a hub of activity; ships darted in and out, while ground crews moved with practiced efficiency. Despite Meeko having transported cargo across countless star systems, planets and moons in the Settled Stars for the alliance of the United Stars, the appeal of his home planet Hentoxa never ceased to captivate him. However, behind its beauty, the undertones of corruption and the sprawling slums hinted at a more complex narrative. Through all the challenging times growing up in the drug-ridden city of Rolona on Hentoxa, Meeko had managed to make out an honest living working as a cargo shipper for the USystems Transport. The Comet Star System and its heart, Hentoxa, held a special place in his heart.

The large expanse of Hentoxa's skyline seemed endless, but Meeko's admiration was interrupted by a familiar voice. "Kylonos!" It was his Chief Operating Officer, Kendrick Tempa. Mr. Tempa approached with his characteristic purposeful stride, surrounded by a couple of stern-looking Comet Cosmos government officials. Dressed all business in his USystems Transport uniform, it was clear Mr. Tempa had a task in mind for Meeko.

"Got a special one for you," Mr. Tempa declared.

"Highly classified and special cargo, a couple of dozen containers. They're being shipped to Polaris, and the Comet Cosmos has assigned five special units from their military to guard you on your journey. You leave in an hour."

"Yes sir, we'll make sure it arrives safely. But an hour? That's a bit tight. It's no problem, we can handle it," Meeko responded, a hint of concern in his voice.

"Yeah, I know you just landed and I'm sorry, but this port is bustling with activity, and we need to move this special cargo fast, it's on schedule" Tempa explained.

Handing Meeko a digiPad, the details of the job lit up the screen. 

"You're the best flying specialist we've got in the whole Cyan Port, maybe all of Hentoxa, Kylonos," Tempa mentioned, his signature smirk playing on his lips. 

"I trust you can handle it, no biggie."

Meeko quickly scanned the digiPad, noting he was to be at 'docking bay 13' with a ship named the 'Star Runner'. "Of course, sir," Kylonos replied, trying to match the confidence Tempa emitted.

"I will see you soon. I think you'll be coming back tomorrow, bringing in a shipment from Polaris on the way back. Have a good night in Polaris," Mr. Tempa said with a nod, shaking Meeko's hand. Then, without another word, he turned and left, the stern-faced Cosmos government officials, who had been staring at Meeko intently, trailing behind him.

The city of Polaris, located on the planet of Palmoa, was a beautiful sight to see. It held a unique place within him, despite it being part of The Orbit, a faction that historically rivaled his home territory controlled by the Comet Cosmos. Being just about one gravity leap away in star systems, it served as a convenient and safe route for swift supply runs between the United Stars network. But its strategic placement wasn't what drew Meeko in.