Chapter 3 - Bright As The Sun

"This 000 medical, what's your emergency?" A polite young woman on the other side of the phone asked with her composure kept.

"Hello..um.....we are at Sydney Hornsby Academy...we currently have an injured trespasser!" the voice of the vice principal became terrified of the issue. Her legs trembled with fear.

"Amy, just stop. It's probably just some pedo lurking around the premises." Mr. Leigh said with a sense of anger in his tone, he tried to comfort his scared wife.

"I'm sorry to say ma'am but our resources have been spread thin over the southern CBD, I am not able to send a unit at the moment. We are currently having to cover a mass homicide." The disappointed mood of the caller was obvious.

"W-what??" Mrs. Leigh's voice quivered with sensitivity. She whimpered.

"I'm afraid that I will have to end the call, is that alright with you ma'am?" The call ended abruptly.

Her husband waited beside his desk, clicking his pen repeatedly out of spite and boredom. The main teacher's lounge sat cold and absent. She hung up the phone and slid it into place. It went back into the telephone compartment.

Mr. Leigh answered, "Well? What did she say?" he asked in desperation.

She started to tear up at that moment. Sniffling became evident and a sudden weep bursted out.

"They're...they're not coming anytime soon..!" He hugged his wife tightly for peace and comfort. Kissing her forehead to reassure her.

"Do you..want to try the police?" Mr. Leigh suggested calmly. She relentlessly agreed. He strolled over to the phone hanging on the wall and dials triple zero.

"Hello, this is 000 police, what is your emergency?" Lieutenant Rick answered the phone.

"Hey, this is Sydney Hornsby Academy, we have to report a trespasser onsite, I think he is critically injured." Mr. Leigh spoke to the gentleman.

"When can you get here?" he questioned Rick.

"I'm sorry to say sir, but we are currently having a shortage of staff...however I think I can come down to the school and get him for you?" He offered to take him off their hands. Mr. Leigh consented to him. His wife, clearly worried, came over to him and leaned her miniature head onto his shoulder, she wrapped her arms around his body. The call ended and Mr. Leigh hung up.

"Any news, darling?" she asked.

"Yes..they're coming down to go get him, so we are hopefully going to be fine." he grabbed his wife's hand and stroked it with his thumb. "But..I need to make another call first" he followed up with.

The Lieutenant sighed, "I guess..I have to go down there myself."

He said to himself and it was only him there. The police station was empty and had an eerie feel. Newspapers, unmarked work, computers shut off and the lights above making humming sounds as the electricity moved through. The unit was a void.

Rick, being at his desk with no paperwork to be seen in sight. He swiped his short black hair across his face, his feet on a plastic table. An obvious but slight crooked nose was stored as a feature of his face. Rick thrusted away and aimed for his black, motorcycle jacket on the hanger. His bulky, glock nineteen gun sat in one of the deep jacket pockets. He walked through the department, seeing the janitor in sight he waved to him to make his leave.

The car park was unoccupied, the wind smoothly passed the parking lot and did the crusty tumbleweeds, where police cars once stood. All that remained there was his black enduro motorbike. He flicked on the noisy engine and set off.