Chapter 5

Marianna never knew what it was like to have a family, a real one, the kind with a loving mother who would cradle you at night, tucking you in whilst singing a sweet song as you drift off into the land of dreams. No, nor had she had the stern words of discipline from a caring and protective father, who would die for her in a heartbeat. No, in this fucked up world Marianna only had her friends, but even now she didn't have that. She once dreamed that one day she would be reunited with her family and they would sweep her up from her horrible life, but as her friendship with Finn and Isaiah grew, those dreams faded away. But now, she had never felt more alone as she stumbled through the streets of Small Heath, her eyes threatening to run out of tears as her heart broke and her mind swirled with questions.

"Maria is that you, is that really you" Maria looked up at the tall figure who she had crashed into, similar to her, he had these large round eyes, though less inviting as hers, as if they had withered with time and trauma. "My sweet Marianna" he grasped onto her and held tight, she couldn't process what was happening, who this man was, but for a moment it didn't matter as her tears stopped and the world went quiet, for a second Marianna felt safe and warm, even loved.

She was quickly snapped out of her thoughts realising she was in fact hugging a random stranger who she didn't know or recognise. Shoving away from his grasp, she looked up at the stranger puzzled  "who are you, how do you know my name", the man only smiled, cupping her face, "oh mija, I thought id lost you forever". Marianna was lost and confused and didn't understand what this man was saying. "Perdoname hija, I'm Alejandro Dominguez" Marianna didn't understand the language he spoke, assuming it was Spanish, wondering if the man thought his name meant anything to her. "I'm your father".