Chapter 12

Before you hop out of the vent, you hear the voices of J and V.

"Whoa, N."

You change your position to see V and J drop from the ceiling. N throws the drone to the side before J and V see her.

"Am I dreaming, or did you do something not useless for once?"

J says, surprised. You roll your eyes.

"I've been trying to get past those doors for months! Nice work, N."

V compliments. N laughs nervously.

"These ventilation shafts can easily get us around this last door!"

V grins and opens her wings, activating both of her guns as well.

"Lowest bodycount eats a missile!"

She leaps up into the shaft above and you can still hear her giggling manically.

"Way to go, stud. With this colony wiped, we'll make top team this quarter for sure!"

J exclaims, patting N harshly on the back, making him wince in pain a bit. You've never seen her this happy before. However, you still don't like her.

"You know what that means..."

J says in a sing-song tone, and pulls something from her pocket.

"...Branded pens!"

She holds up a pen with the JCJenson logo on it and clicks it rapidly. N looks at the pen in excitement. She tosses it to him and prepares her wings for takeoff. N looks at the pen in his hand, then over to where he tossed the drone, behind a few storage boxes.

"Uh, you know, not that I can't wait to keep murdering all of these... maybe not-so-actually-different from us worker drones, but just outta curiosity, do we actually, uh..."

He hisses through his teeth, nervously.

"...know what the company plans to do with us afterwards?"

J pauses and turns back around to look at him.

"Excuse me?"

She puts her hands on her hips.

"Okay, so, a worker earlier might have suggested that they could fix up our landing pod to, uh, escape the planet and stuff. Which- whoa, hey, that's against the rules!"

He says loudly, pointing at J.

"But it is kind of making me question why our pods were only-one way in the first place."

The worker drone told him this?

"'Cause, y-you know, I get the feeling the company doesn't actually love robots, and, like, we might be robots?"

He says, still nervous.

"I've made a terrible mistake. It's cool how immediately I could tell."

J walks over to him with a smirk.

"No way buddy, questioning the company?"

She reaches him and places her hand on his back gently. Something's not right...

"You just finally gave me the excuse I needed."

You watch as J activates a virus gun and shoots N's chest, catching him by surprise. You gasp and cover your mouth in an attempt to stay quiet.

"Worker drones are corrupted, N. That's why the company sent us."

J walks away as N falls to his knees.