Chapter 6

Hua Cheng stumbles backward a step when Xie Lian throws himself into his arms, less because of the force of the impact, Xie Lian guesses, and more from pure surprise. His arms close automatically around Xie Lian, catching him and steadying him and providing comfort all at once.

"Gege, what's wrong?" Hua Cheng asks, his voice filled with bewildered concern.

"Wu Ming." Xie Lian says it more loudly this time, clinging to Hua Cheng with 800 years of grief and regrets, burying his head against the ghost's shoulder just as Hua Cheng did when they were in the armory. "I know... I know its you."

Hua Cheng stiffens in his arms, his whole body going utterly still in the way that only a ghost's body can. At last, in a voice quiet and shaking in a way Xie Lian's never heard it before, he asks, "how did you know?"

Around them the room is filled with shouting. Muffled noises of distress come from Lang Qianqiu and Shi Qingxuan is exclaiming, "Your Highness, what is it? What's wrong?" And both of them are all but drowned out by Feng Xin and Mu Qing's shouting. "Your Highness, what are you doing!?" "Xie Lian, get the fuck away from him!" "Fuck, what's going on? Your highness get back!" "Does he have him under some kind of spell?" "Crimson Rain you bastard!"

Xie Lian blots it all out, his world shrinking to himself and the ghost in his arms, the ghost who he thought he lost forever, who he thought he destroyed, who should hate him more than anyone yet who has been by his side all this time.

"It was what you said to General Pei." The words come out shakily and there are still tears falling from Xie Lian eyes, he can't seem to make them stop. "His highness will always be his highness to me'. It's what you said to me back ..back then."

Hua Cheng blinks down at him, looking almost baffled, and then his eyes widen, and when he speaks his voice is still impossibly hoarse. "you remember that?"

"I remember." A shaky laugh bubbles up in Xie Lian's throat and he realizes that yes, he can laugh and cry at the same time after all. "I remember everything. Wu Ming, I'm so sorry. Everything you did for me, I was so cruel and awful to you, and you still sacrificed yourself for me and I..."

Xie Lian's words are cut off by the feeling of a hand which suddenly grips the back of his arm and yanks, trying to pull him away from Hua Cheng.

"What?" Xie Lian reflexively grips the ghost king more tightly even as he whips his head around to see who or what has a hold of his arm and is shocked when he meets the furious gaze of Mu Qing, Feng Xin looming just behind him, a hand on his sword.

"Xie Lian, you need to get away from him right now." Mu Qing's voice is low and serious in a way Xie Lian is only ever heard it when they are in real trouble and he knows that his former retainer isn't messing around.

Behind him a low, dangerous, growl emanates from Hua Chang's throat. "Take your hands off of him."

"No, you take your hands off of him!" Feng Xin sounds every bit as furious as Mu Qing and the simple fact that they seem to be in agreement and even working together tells Xie Lian more about how they feel about the situation than words ever can.

"I won't tell you again. Let His Highness go." There is danger in every one of Hua Chang's words and silver butterflies rise around them to emphasize his threat.

"And we won't tell you again either!" Mu Qing snaps, giving another strong tug to Xie Lian's arm as Feng Xin draws his sword.

"Stop it both of you!" Xie Lian can't let this continue, he can't. He lets go of Hua Cheng, pulling away from him and for an instant he sees hurt flicker in the ghost's eye, triumph in Mu Qing's and relief in Feng Xin's, but both god's expressions only last for a moment as Xie Lian turns his back on Hua Cheng and flings out his arms to either side, shielding the ghost king with his own body, his eyes fixed on the blade of Feng Xin's sword. "I won't let you hurt him."

Body in Flames; Home in Paradise (TGCF HuaLian)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें