sacrificial lamb

SUCH A WASTE OF A GIRL, SUCH RUMINATION. 

I AM OBSESSIVE. 

I CONTAIN NOTHING BUT THE REPLAY. 

I AM BLOOD AND BLOOD AND REPLAY. 

I AM PLEASE DON'T GO. 

PEOPLE LIKE TO EAT OTHER PEOPLE. 

I SPENT SO MANY YEARS FORGETTING I HAD TEETH TOO. 

When a lamb is chosen for slaughter, they separate it from the flock for twelve to twenty-four hours.

Some say this is to empty the stomach. I think this makes it easier to kill. If you look at a lamb, alone, with no crying mother standing inches away, no brother clinging desperately closeby, you can slit its throat easier. Alone, it is not a lamb. Just a slab of meat. Just the next meal. Just the sacrifice for all the sins we have painted onto ourselves.

This is what happens to Shoshana Cordero. She is a lamb chosen for slaughter. She is seventeen when they call her name on that stage. She is seventeen when she is ripped from the clutches of her family. She is two months away from her eighteenth birthday. The whole of Panem watches as she stands on that stage and cries, tears dripping from a pointed chin, hands shaking in front of her perfect white dress. They wanted to see it stained in red. This is when they decided she was the perfect sacrifice – the most perfect lamb.