-Chapter 13-(Remembering)

I was around six.

I peeked just a little from under the bed. I saw those red and white shoes and my older sister sobbing on her knees. The air in the room felt heavy with tension, and my heart pounded in my chest. This moment held the weight of an impending tragedy, and I could hardly believe the events unfolding before their eyes.

Shadow's voice, cold and relentless, cut through the silence. "Your actions have consequences. G.U.N. won't tolerate betrayal, even from one of their own."

The older sibling, restrained and defiant, met Shadow's gaze with a mix of anger and resignation. "You were once one of us, Shadow. How can you stand there and do this?"

A flicker of emotion passed over Shadow's face, but he quickly masked it with stoicism. "I made my choices. Now you must face yours."

I was torn between loyalty to her and what she had told me, I felt a lump forming in my throat. I wished I could intervene, and change the course of events, but I remained hidden in the shadows, unable to alter the inevitable.

As the conversation grew more intense, the atmosphere in the room became charged. My eyes widened as they realized the gravity of the situation. Shadow, a figure of fear and admiration, was about to take away someone they loved.

Finally, with a heavy heart, Shadow took a step forward. The room seemed to close in on me as they watched my sister's fate hang in the balance.

In the chilling silence, a single gunshot echoed through the room.

My eyes welled up with tears as the reality of the irreversible act unfolded before them. The weight of the moment bore down on my shoulders. I edged slowly to the light, so close that if Shadow looked down he would see me. I looked up at Shadow's unchanged expression, he turned away from the fallen figure. My heart sank as I witnessed the aftermath of a decision that had shattered my world. My very own sister, the only family I had left, once a protector, now lay still on the floor.

As Shadow left the room, his footsteps resonated like a distant echo in my ears. Alone in the darkened room, I struggled to process the scene that I had just witnessed. Emotions welled up, threatening to overflow, but  I managed to bite down on my trembling lip, determined to remain hidden.

As I cautiously emerged from the shadows, the reality of the loss hit me like a tidal wave. As I approached her, a mixture of sorrow and anger coursed through my veins. Tears blurred my vision as I knelt beside the lifeless form, unable to comprehend the events that had unfolded.

In the wake of the tragedy, I clutched onto the dagger that my sister always had, stored in her satchel across her chest, which was now ridden with dark red blood from her head. A symbol of a bond that had been severed too soon. The room, once filled with tension, now felt desolate, echoing the void left by the departed.

Unbeknownst to Shadow, who continued his path down the sterile G.U.N. facility corridors, I remained in the room, grappling with grief and the harsh reality that their world had been irreversibly altered. The weight of witnessing the loss, hidden in the shadows, would remain etched in their memory, casting a long, haunting shadow over my future.

17 Years Later...

My eyes were wide with shock. I looked slowly up to Shadow, 'You... it was...' A hiss left my throat. Shadow slowly turned to look at me, his eyes still the same as they were when he left the room where a murder had happened.

I stood up, my body now filled with rage. I tightened my fist, tears streaking down my muzzle. I lunged towards Shadow, taking him by surprise. I grabbed his fur, gripping it tightly. He tried to throw me off, but I remained latched on.

'What the hell is wrong with you?!' He asked.

'You.. killed my fucking sister?' I whispered in his ear, making him stop. 

He finally threw me off, 'Who.. are you?' He leaned down.

'I'm Y/N. Y/N L/N.' I hissed out. His ears twitched when I said my last name, 'You took... everything from me.' 

His eyes. His awful... crimson eyes showed no sign of emotion. Tears once again welled up in my eyes, 'Why?!' I yelled, 'Why did you do it?!' I begged.

He stepped back, hesitating, 'She betrayed us. Betrayed G.U.N.. I had no choice. It was my mission.'

I clenched my teeth, 'You're... the worst thing... the worst thing to ever be made... you ruined everything.'

I saw something change in his eyes. They... softened. Yet he just turned. He turned and left me there, sobbing.

Several minutes went by before I was huddled up on the ground, silently crying in the middle of the forest before I felt warm hands gently graze over me. My eyes widened, and I jerked away from the touch.

I looked up slowly, seeing white gloves and a warm smile, 'Hey... what's wrong?' His green eyes shone with concern. His blue quills were a little covered in dirt, but they were the usual blue.

'I-I... don't know...' I whispered, I closed my eyes again. I felt his hand gently stroke my cheek, wiping away a tear or two.

'You can always tell me.' He calmly said.

I sat up, opening my eyes, 'I-I just.. remembered something..' I looked at Sonic in the eye, 'S-shadow.. he...' I choked on my words.

Sonic quickly held his hands out, 'It's okay, take your time.' He sat down himself, his legs crossed over one another, 'If Shadow did anything to hurt you, you don't have to hang around him anymore. You aren't forced in any wya to rush anything because of how we speedy hedgehogs do things.' He placed a hand on my shoulder.

I gave a small, weak smile  to Sonic, 'Thank you..' I mumbled. I hesitated for a while before speaking again, 'I-I remembered that Shadow... ehm... killed my oder sister.' I said slowly and softly.

Sonic's eyes widened, and he gave me a hug, 'I am so sorry... I had no idea... I figured it was just something that I could talk to him about, but...' He sighed, then let me go, 'You deserve better, Y/N. Sorry if you're not much of a hugger.'

I chuckled a little at his remark, 'It's okay.. I don't mind it from someone who I trust.' I wiped away my tears.

Sonic placed a hand on my cheek, 'Can I show you something?'