1

Alessia

"mrs alessia, your mother said you need to leave now if you wish to make it on time." a maid of mine says through my door.

today marks the reaping of the 62nd hunger games. today also means i get to meet who i will be mentoring as my final assignment at the academy. president snow will be in attendance today so my mother made me dress in the finest of fashions. she had a dress personally made, but i do not know why since our families have been close friends. my father went to the academy with president snow when they were younger.

i slide on my last heel and nearly sprint out of the door to meet my family at the car. they all are already sitting in their seats by the time i make it down. the driver opens the door and i slide in next to my older brother, nicholas. he's been through this before, his tribute almost won too. so there was a lot of pressure on me to be a good mentor.

the car began to drive. "good morning alessia." my father said as he looked over the newspaper in his hand.

"good morning father." i replied.

"you look well," my mother said trying to comfort me.

"thank you."

the car ride to the academy steps wasn't a long one. i would have to go in a different entrance than my parents and brother. they all wished me good luck as i got out of the car, but i knew i was going to need more than luck.

i walked up the steps and walked through the large doors. i didn't even take two steps in before someone found me.

"alessia davies." anthony, a friend of mine, walks up and offers his arm for me to take; i do.

"anthony, nice to see you made it here sober." i smiled.

anthony had that face that made you want to learn everything about him. he always honeyed me, no matter who was around. he had become one of my closest friends when we got to the higher levels of the academy's. our families have known each other for ages; i remember him playing games with my brother in our cabin during the holidays. he was always so charismatic as well. everyone who met him just loved him.

he showed me a little silver flask from his pocket. i laughed, "i should have guessed." we walked forward.

the younger levels of the academy would smile at us as we walked by, knowing that if they couldn't get us to like them they would never have a chance anywhere in the capitol. our parents had a major influence in the capitol, that's why we clinged together so tightly.

we reached the front where the future mentors would be sitting; our seats. only a few of us stood around each other, leaving the others out.

"anthony which district did your parents buy for you?" one of our friends mocked him. we all laughed.

"hopefully one that isn't against some drinks." he tried to hide his flask as he took a drink.

the doors closed and everyone fell silent.

President Snow was here.

we all sat down in our seats. i looked up to see my family grouped together, all trying to give a smile of reassurance.

his boots were loud as he walked down the aisle. i felt my breath stop as he walked by our seats. he reached his podium and cleared his throat. i looked over at anthony, who was clearly nervous. i grabbed hold of his hand to try to show him some reassurance.

Kendrick

today was reaping day. it would be my last year having a chance at becoming a tribute. i hoped that it wouldn't be my name called during the reaping. most tributes from district 5 were reaped at 16 to 17, so i should be alright.

my mom sewed me a shirt for today. i was ready to come back and enjoy the day off with my family.

i gave my little sister a kiss on the head and i received a hug from both of my parents before i left.

it was a hot day and a long walk to the stage. it was never really used, but it was nice to see the stage have some color to it. i checked it and got in line next to my best friends, cullen and pefta. we stood towards the back since the lines all filled up quickly.

the announcer walked up to the microphone. i never listened to what she said. she looked nice but her voice drowned out in my head. she walked over and pulled the female tributes name next. "emmalyn mai." a girl that had been a family friend for years. her face appeared on the big screen. she looked horrified. she knew she wasn't going to win the games.

she walked down the aisle of people, then up the few steps to the stage. the lady announcing walked over to the bowl holding the men's names. she swished her hands around a few times but pulled out one, "kendrick alpin."

i felt my heart stop beating. the air stood still for a moment. that moment felt like centuries. everyone cleared a path for me to walk by them. my body started moving without a thought. my mind was stuck in the moment. it was my last year, i wasn't supposed to be picked.

the next thing i knew i was in a room.

this will be the last time you see your family.

those peacekeepers words stuck with me the whole time i waited. the door swung open. my little sister ran up to me, i held her as tight as i could. she had no idea what was happening and i wasn't going to be the one to tell her.

my mom was in tears when i saw her. she pulled me in, "try your hardest ken, please." she muffled into my ear. my heart shattered. i couldn't leave my family behind like this.

i will not leave my family behind like this.

AUTHORS NOTE

word count is 1,034 words!!!!

- remsupport