Celebrities and Cafeteria Food

Rosie's P.O.V.

"Please?"

"No."

"Please?"

"Nope."

"Pretty please with a cherry on top?"

"Is the cherry on top of an ice cream sundae or a Shirley Temple?"

"Uh.... ice cream sundae?"

"Wrong answer."

"C'mon, Rosie.  Please?"

"NO!" I yelled.  "I do not want to go on a road trip with you this summer.  Do you remember what happened last time?"

Makenna grimaced.  "Seriously, Ro?  You're still mad at me for that?"

I raised an eyebrow.  "You forgot to put gas in the car and we broke down in the sketchy area of Vegas.  I still maintain that if those pervs at the motel got an inch closer I would have sucker punched them in the gut."

She snorted.  "Yeah.  And I'm pretty sure that that motel had about ten thousand health code violations."

Despite the fact that that night had been horrible, I couldn't help but crack a smile at the memory.  "I love you Kennie, but the answer is still no."

Makenna sighed.  "Okay, but first of all I never asked if you wanted to go on a road trip with me."

"Uh... yeah, you kinda did..."

"No, I didn't.  I asked if you wanted to go on a trip.  You just jumped to the conclusion that we would be driving somewhere."

I pushed around the salad on my plate.  Screw the school's "Healthy Eating Initiative."  I wanted fries.  A nice large serving of greasy fries with a cheeseburger on the side.  Why didn't our cafeteria serve better junk food?  Or any junk food for that matter?  Man, if I was the principal of our school, I would...

Makenna waved a perfectly manicured hand in front of my face.  "Earth to Rosie? Come in, Rosie?"

I shook my head.  "Sorry, what were we talking about again?"

Makenna bumped my shoulder with hers.  "The trip, you dumbo."  She smiled.  "You know, I always wonder what goes on in that head of yours when you zone out."

"Are you calling me spacey?" I asked as I playfully pushed her back.

"Girl, you're so spacey that your brain spends the majority of its time in the Kuiper belt."  We both got up from the lunch table to throw away our half-eaten salads.  Makenna linked our arms as we walked out of the cafeteria together.

"So, Girlie, you wanna hear about the trip?" Kennie asked as she dragged me to her locker.

"Do I have a choice?"

She smiled.  "Not really.  So anyways, you know my aunt Sara?"

I nodded.  "The super cool one who owns Retronic Records?"

"Yup," she confirmed.  "She just opened this awesome resort in Florida..."

"Florida?" I gasped.

"...and she asked if I wanted to bring a friend or two down to the resort for the summer.  It's in a super awesome location -- I checked out their website and they have a private beach, two different spas, zip lining, rock climbing, an indoor water park, an outdoor pool and hot tub -- oh, and we'll get to fly there in a private jet, and we get to stay in one of the two penthouses."

"There are two penthouses?"

"It's because the floors are so big.  So, are you in?"

"Penthouses?  Private jets? Zip lining?" I squealed.  "I guess I'll start packing when we get home."

Makenna's smile widened.  "And I didn't even tell you the best part.  It's a resort for celebrities and wealthy families.  So maybe we'll both meet some devilishly handsome movie stars while we're there. It'll be love at first sight."  She sighed.  "I can just see it now: a whirlwind summer romance, complete with beaches and tanning.  I'll meet some troubled celebrity bad boy and save him and we'll both live happily ever after with two beautiful children, seventeen horses, and two dogs... or at least that's what the romance novels dictate will happen."

I snorted.  "Don't get your hopes up too high, Kennie.  You know that I'm about as fond of celebrities as I am of the cafeteria food.  I'll tolerate them, but they give my stomach a bad feeling."

"You just see, Rosie Evans.  You'll fall in love on this trip.  I guarantee it.  Mark my words, you'll come back a different person than when you left."

And with that, she skipped away, dragging me to my locker.