Chapter 27

Hello you beautiful people! Here is another chapter for The First Queen. Don't forget to vote and comment! By the way, I have entered The First Queen for the Wattys!!!! Now, enjoy the new chapter!

When I first began training at age nine, the first thing my father taught me was how to access a situation. It doesn't matter if it's a battle or a diplomatic disagreeing, one must take at least a few seconds to a get a sense of what is happening. Well, what he really told me was always to look where you jump before your feet leave the ground. Anyway, it took me a while to master it. During my first fight, I rushed in with my sword drawn, and because of my recklessness I could have lost a hand. Now I know how valuable even just a few seconds are.

Francis and I were not outnumbered. It was twenty eight against ten, for now, at least. My eyes moved around, taking in the actions that erupted around me. My men already had their swords drawn and were fighting with whoever came at them. McCormick and Thorpe were at it as well. Francis was against two of Darien's men. My legs moved to go help him, but out of nowhere a rebel stood in my way. He gave me a sinister smirk, his hand gripping onto his sword. This was no man. This was a crazed animal.

"Well if it isn't King Darien's little sister. It's just you and me, princess. I'm sure he'll be glad that I got rid of you. Save him the trouble, you know what I mean?"

Hearing him call Darien a king made my rage boil inside of me. My facial expression must have given away my emotions because the rebel saw that he hit a nerve. Another thing I was taught by my father; never let the enemy see your emotions - they will use it to their advantage. "Oh, I'm sorry, is the little princess alri -"

Before he could finish his sentence, I swung at him, causing him to stumble a bit as his sword met mine. One sword pushed at the other. I wore the most sinister glare I could put on, but that only made the man smirk more as we looked at each other through our crossed swords.

"I'm not a princess," I snarled, kicking at the man's leg, causing him to lose his footing and land on his back. He tried to bring up his sword but I swatted it away with mine, sending it far from his reach. I stood over him. The man continued to look at me with a menacing look, but where is that going to get him now? His face did not change as I swung up my sword, but I saw glint of confusion in his eyes as I kept it over my head, not yet bringing it down.

"I'm not so little anymore, now am I," I asked as I brought down my sword. He gasped at the sudden pain, looking at the blood seeping from where the blade met his flesh and then back up at me. With a struggle he opened his mouth to say something, but all that came out was that final exhalation of air.

Looking up, I saw that my men were still fighting. A few of them had fallen. Darien has lost some men as well. Moving away from the corpse below me, I made my way towards the entryway to the lower deck. There was no way I was getting off this ship without finishing what Darien started.

Again, like when I went to help Francis not even seconds ago, my way was blocked by not one but by two of Darien's men. For some reason, I liked this challenge. I knew how easy it was going to be. They began to circle me. My eyes alternated from man to man, taking in what they were armed with. One had a sword - he'd be easy to overcome, the other - oh dear. A chill ran down my spine when I saw that the other man had a pistol in his hand. If I'm not careful about how I get myself out of this, a close range shot will be deadly, no matter where it lands on my body.

"Gentlemen," I said, "is my brother really making you do this? Are you really going to do his dirty work?"

The one on my left growled at me like some animal - well, these men were acting like savages, not men, if you ask me. Good, I struck a nerve. The man on my right released the safety on his pistol, the click causing me to snap my head in his direction. "Don't worry, lass, we'll make this quick. His majesty will be very pleased," he said, bring his armed hand up at me. Somehow, I don't know how, but my reflexes came to my aid. Just as the rebel fired, I fell to the deck, and the bullet passed above my head. The man who was one my left yelled in pain as he took the shot from his comrade's weapon. Not wasting a moment to see if he was dead, I sprung up from the deck and attacked the gunman who stood in shock at what had just happened. My sword plunged into his stomach, and I pulled it out slowly at I leaned in close to his ear. "There is only one king on this ship, and his name is Francis."