Setting Roots

2 months ago 

I was late for my sister 18th birthday party. Walking in New York wasn't the best thing to do at night but no taxi could help me get there faster than my feet on a Friday night. I had gotten my sister a new pair of heels and coach purse she's been eyeing for a month. I was inches away from the door when a pair of rough hands grabbed my mouth and waist. I screamed but my scream wasn't loud enough. My heart was racing and my breath was shorting. He pressed me against the wall, my tormentor was my ex-boyfriend. The guy I was suppose to marry, my first love. His eyes were shot, he didn't look like the guy I fell in love with. He was high and mad. I screamed again and he hit me. Sometime afterwards my hands were pinned to the wall and he was shoving his tongue down my throat. Why was he doing this to me didn't he love me? I screamed again. 

"Shut up," he told me. He took out a knife to cut me, showing me it would be worse if I didn't shut up. He continued to abuse me there in the alleyway. I had to scream, so I did, not holding back. He stabbed me but he couldn't get a second blow because he was struck in the head by someone. I soon found myself in the arms of my brother. How did he find me of all people? My brother didn't look down at me cause he knew he would cry at the sight of my bruises. My brother was soft when it came to his sisters. He was the oldest of all of us, after high school he became a marine. He was supposed to be celebrating with my family right now but instead he was carrying me to a hospital.  

"Stay with me, ok," he pleaded for me to cling to life. 

"Ok," I told him resting my head on his chest. 

When we got to the hospital I was in and out. The nurses all looked worried probably thinking my brother did this to me. As they took me away from him he explained everything and called my mother. I woke up the next day to my family's smiling faces then the room went cold when I was told that I needed to disappear and clear my mind. That's how I ended up in a small country town in Georgia.