𝐢𝐯: 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

AURILENA STERLE:

AURILENA STERLE:

* ˚ ✦

Aurilena poured more wine into her glass as she refused to look at Lucien. It was dinner time and she was still incredibly petty about what had happened earlier. Tamlin and Feyre looked at the two of them curiously, knowing very well that something was wrong, but refusing to say anything about about it.

Instead, Lucien ranted to Tamlin about some malfunction on his eye, not looking at her once. Tamlin would look at her occasionally, but mainly kept his focus on his courtier. Feyre observed the males curiously, mainly the masks. There was a small amount of pity in her gaze, but she mainly look at them with distrust and suspicion. They were ridiculous in a way and Aurilena was happy she was not forced to wear them.

Curiously, Feyre looked at Lucien quite a lot, especially his sword. Even though they weren't exactly getting along at the moment, that did not mean she was going to let Feyre attempt to trick him, especially with that knife she was attempting to keep concealed.  Lucien was not stupid, even though he acted like it occasionally, and he would not fall for her attempts at trickery. But that didn't stop Aurilena from worrying that he would. As smart as he was, Lucien could be emotion and guided by his heart instead of his head.

Aurilena would not have to worry if Feyre was anyone but herself. Aurilena would not have to be suspicious of her if she had not proven already that she hated them and would be more than happy if they all died instantly.

Lucien paused talking to Tamlin as he noticed Feyre's gaze on him, smirking in reaction. "Were you admiring my sword, or just contemplating killing me, Feyre?"

"Of course not," she said softly before glancing at Tamlin. Feyre's heartbeat picked up as she noticed the look he gave. She was more than likely wondering if he knew about the knife she attempted to keep concealed. Fortunately for Feyre, no one aside from Aurilena knew, but that would not last for long. She would need to tell Tamlin and then let him tell Lucien as she would not be doing so. Feyre clearly forced herself to look again at Lucien, all while he continued grinning like an idiot.

"Feyre likes to hunt." Tamlin said, breaking the silence. Aurilena rolled her eyes mentally at his words, he was a terrible conversationalist and it showed. Most women did not like to hunt unless they were forced to and it was apparent that hunting was not a hobby for Feyre.

"I don't like to hunt." She spat out a lot more aggressively than she should have, but continued on talking. "I hunted out of necessity. And how did you know that?"

Tamlin stared at Feyre, evaluating her. "Why else were you in the woods that day? You had a bow and arrows in your...house." Tamlin said, clearly almost saying something he should not have. "When I saw your father's hands, I knew he wasn't the one using them." He gestured to her scarred, callused hands, a tell as to what she had known. "You told him about the rations and money from pelts. Faeries might be many things, but we're not stupid. Unless your ridiculous legends claim that about us, too."

Feyre stared at the crumbs of bread and swirls of remaining sauce on her golden plate at his words. An inner turmoil went on in her head and it was clear by her expression that she was insulted and disgusted by Tamlin's words and the insinuation it held.

Lucien cleared his throat before speaking. "How old are you, anyway?" Stupid, you don't ask anyone their age, especially a women. Did you learn nothing from your years at Court?

"Nineteen." Feyre said, her tone more pleasant than before. Aurilena's eye widened slightly as she tried to process what had just been said. Nineteen years of age was young, but to have the level of skill that Feyre had she would have had to been hunting for years, meaning she started when she was about thirteen or fourteen. Something no one that age should ever have to deal with.

Lucien tsked at her words. "So young, and so grave. And a skilled killer already." He remarked, clearly trying to push her buttons and succeeding as Feyre tightened her hands into fists. She was clearly thinking back on something and continued to look at Lucien in anger.

Suddenly, Feyre's expression changed, as if an idea crossed her mind and Aurilena did not like it one bit. "So is this what you do with your lives? Spare humans from the Treaty and have fine meals?" She gave a pointed glance toward Tamlin's baldric, the warrior's clothes, Lucien's sword, Aurilena's prestigious clothes. All their wealth and privilege.

Lucien smirked in response and Aurilena knew he was doing to say something that ended badly. "We also dance with the spirits under the full moon and snatch human babes from their cradles to replace them with changelings—"

"Didn't...," Tamlin interrupted, his deep voice surprisingly gentle, "didn't your mother tell you anything about us?"

Feyre prodded the table with her forefinger, digging her short nails into the wood. "My mother didn't have the time to tell me stories." She said shortly, obviously holding something back from them but refusing to give it up.

For once, Lucien did not laugh. After a rather stilted pause, "How did she die?" He asked curiously. When Feyre lifted her eyebrows, he spoke a bit more softly, "I didn't see signs of an older woman in your house."

"Typhus. When I was eight." She said, rising from her seat to leave.

"Feyre," Tamlin said, and she half turned. A muscle feathered in his cheek.

Lucien glanced between them, but kept silent. Then Tamlin shook his head, the movement more animal than anything, and murmured, "I'm sorry for your loss."

Feyre clearly tried to keep from grimacing as she turned on her heel and left. Aurilena knew exactly how it felt to have lost family members, but the  different between Feyre and her was that Aurilena did not act on her feelings.

It wasn't long until Feyre was in her bedchambers, out of earshot, and only once they could hear the door close shut did Tamlin speak. "What is wrong with the two of you?" He asked angrily, looking between the two of them while they refused to look at each other. "Aurilena, you didn't speak the time Feyre was down here. And Lucien, you are being too much like...yourself."

"I do not know what you mean, Tamlin." Aurilena said innocently. "I am not the one who said something I should not have."

Lucien chuckled dryly. "Oh really? That's rich coming from you." He spit it, looking at her now. Aurilena finally looked at him for the fist time that night, her eyes narrowed and her jaw clenched.

"Yes, really." She argued. "I did not call you, and I quote, 'a fucking hypocrite'." Aurilena rose her hands to make air quotes as she spoke and Tamlin and Lucien's eyes widened at her words. Aurilena rarely ever swore, so the fact that she was made it apparent that she was incredibly angry. "I also did not throw your father's death back in your face as a way to hurt you. So, no, I do not believe I did anything wrong. I may have said some things that were upsetting, but nothing that would ever warrant that kind of response." Lucien opened his mouth to say something, but no words came out. Aurilena laughed sarcastically, a callous smile forming on her face. She bit the inside of her cheek as she rose out of her seat, grabbing her wineglass along with more wine, and swiftly made her way out of there.

Aurilena would not spend one more minute with someone who would do that to her and not apologize.

* ˚ ✦

That's the end of this chapter! Was it good? Bad? Meh?

I kinda loving this rivalry between Auri and Lucien ngl 😂, but it'll be over soon I promise.

Do you have any theories or suggestions?