She Does The Woods

Jennie's POV

My shaking body beats in rhythm with my pulse, while it grows numb to the cold.
Though the Taxi had dropped me off around five minutes ago, my feet seemed to be frozen to the snow-covered earth. In the meantime, snow flurries have begun to build up along the surface of my coat and hood.

As if the nerves that kept me awake last night weren't enough, the driver had the radio on, which happened to be playing 'R U Mine?' by, you guessed it, the Arctic Monkeys. Honestly, my mind is far too possessed by anxiety to simply laugh at the irony of my predicament, as I should do. The impending urge to bring up Alex's "secret identity" is oozing. It's going to take a damn miracle to keep my loose lips shut, and with my luck, that's not likely.

Decidedly, I take an extensive, sharp, intake of breath before moving. Fortunately, the park was well-lit enough, so all my suspicions about murderous intent fizzled from my thoughts.
Plucking my phone from my pocket, the screen instantly lights up, displaying how late I am: 5:11 pm. Along with the time, I also spy a text from Alex, sent only a minute prior.

5:10 p.m. Alex Alexander: Hey love, give me a call when you've arrived.

Strangely, his message dims the festering concern in my chest. Like there was a chance he would've stood me up, and that I would be disheartened by such a thing. Huffing a sigh, my eyes flutter closed momentarily as I march forward. While walking, I ring him. Immediately, Alex answers, and just as I open my mouth to speak, his relieved voice resounds through the speaker. "Thank god." I giggle softly.

"Afraid I wouldn't show Alex?"
"Terrified Red." I laugh again, and I hear him chuckle faintly.
"Who's to say I did?" I inquire with humour laced in my tone, humour Alex clearly didn't pick up on. "Are-- are you serious Jennie? I know I came on a bit strong but-"

The uproar of laughter I'd been suppressing explodes, promptly dulling Alex's panicked ramble. "That's not funny," he scolds.

Then, I recognize his figure from a distance, head tilted towards his shoes, studying them with a smile decorating his face. I swoon, pausing my stride. "You think I'm funny Alexander, there's no need to lie." Observing Alex, I await his usual correction of his name, but it doesn't come. Instead, silence consumes the other end of the call, and my vision hones in on his peaceful expression. My heartbeat stumbles with an impactful thump. Get it together Jennie...

"Turn to your left handsome." His brows shoot into his forehead, creasing it. Swivelling his head, I savour the realization that adorns his features as he takes me in. His eyes roam my stationary frame, mouth agape before it closes. "Come here." That's all he says with a simple grin, and I take off.
I start racing towards him. My little sprint obviously catches him off guard, and I nearly tackle him. However, his embrace captures my clinging body. I instinctively bury my face into his chest. Humming pleasantly, I breathe in his familiar, musky scent.

Though he was initially hesitant, thrown off by my spontaneous action, he quickly elevates his loose hug, to a firm, secure one, as though he's scared this isn't real, or that I'll slip away. I hate how endearing it is, how endearing he is. I really have lost it...

Slightly embarrassed, I slither out of his grip, and he reluctantly lets me. Our eyes lock as we move to an arm's length. His eyes then flicker to my lips and I press them to a thin line.

"I'm not sleeping with you in the woods." As soon as the sentence escapes my throat, the unnamed tension between us is lifted. "Didn't think you would."

"Or ever," I interject lamely, and his face immediately feigns confusion. "Again," I scramble out. 

"Sorry?" His brow rises, and a bitter smirk tugs one side of his mouth.