I. Sealing

Every Reincarnation born into another world has a role to play. Be it villain or hero, they all have goals to achieve that will lead to their happiness or demise. For those roles to function properly, there needs to be someone who provides them with all the information the world has to offer. 

Thus people like me are born into this world. We died just like them, but instead of being granted a glorious role of being part of the main cast, we gather information in the shadows and supply these to them via a system. 

We are not allowed to show ourselves [identity] to the main cast and if we do, we'll be punished. As for the reason, who knows, the only thing that is interesting to me is to survive.

Fortunately, we are granted with long living species like dragons or elves who live up to thousands of years. Our services can last up to 80 years until we are assigned to another reincarnation. 

I myself have accompanied 10 reincarnations already, so it's no stretch to say that I'm one of the oldest and most reliable sources of information. Unfortunately, the current reincarnation that I am responsible for is an idiot. 

And with his genius plan to overthrow the existing democracy his predecessor painstakingly built, he is now on his way towards my people to exterminate elves and gather their rich lands to strengthen his power. In fact, he is already in front of my door.

Urgh. Really just what luck do I have for this life to end in tragedy like my previous self. I already sent notice to the other guides. At least they will be able to escape this hellfire.

I rubbed my aching temple with my left hand and composed myself. There are no elves here anymore, so they will be quite annoyed, but I have no intention to hand my people over to them. I would rather become a killer than to let my people get enslaved.

"Sir, this is the last house. All the others were empty."

"Tch. This wretched system better not lie to me."

Why would I lie to a scumbag like you if I can save my people by telling you my location? Well not as a guide, but as the chief elder of this village.

As I flipped another page of the book in my lap, I waved my hand and opened the door casually with my wind magic, "Why not enter instead of standing in front of my door?"

"Hah. I was wondering why there weren't any elves, are you a reincarnation as well?"

"That's right. So could you please leave? I would rather not shed blood.", reading the line in the book out loud, I stretched my torso and looked up to him. Red blinking signs with warnings flashed in front of my eyes, annoyed I waved them away in my mind.

Relax, I only read one line out loud.

"Is that what you want me to say, human? Unfortunately, I am but a simple chief elder. I was informed about your soldiers the moment you departed from your castle. I would advise you to send your soldiers in the night and not in broad daylight for all to see. Who knows, maybe your neighbor already gathered his forces to take your precious-"

"That's enough. Where are the other elves?", the tip of a cold blade and the scent of iron together with a burning sensation reached my neck. As I looked at him coldly, I closed my eyes for a moment.

To preserve the reincarnation's life you are responsible for is a rule that can never be broken, if you do kill them you won't be able to live in this world anymore and receive punishment.