30

30 - Boiling Points

ZARA

     I had never been fond of doctors, especially those who insisted on poking and prodding at me, and today was no different. I snapped at the unfamiliar nurse who inched my head to the left, not surprised when she jumped back then looked to the man who leaned against the wall for reassurance. I glared at him when he nodded at the nurse, who proceeded to inspect my face.

Despite my lengthy objections, Haden insisted that I get checked over once we got back to the pack house. I expected to see Maya but was told she was at school so that left this elderly woman who didn't understand the meaning of boundaries or personal space.

"Are we done here?" I impatiently asked, ripping my arm away from the woman who struggled not to glare at me.

"We're waiting on the pack doctor," he stated, his eyes trained on me. I could understand his concern, but I couldn't help but feel like a caged animal under their watchful eyes.

"Well how much longer –"

"Apologies, Alpha," the door burst open and an older man dressed in a white coat sauntered in with a clipboard in hand. He was well-groomed, his silver hair neatly combed and slightly receded at the temples, hints at a lifetime of dedicated work and intellectual pursuits. Behind a pair of wire-rimmed glasses, his deep-set eyes hold a sparkle of knowledge and a warm, approachable demeanor.

"I'll take it from here, Mary," he said with a smile then shifted positions with the woman. "Hello, Zara, how are you feeling?"

"Like I would like to get out of here," I mumbled making him chuckle.

"Ah, another patient who isn't a fan of Doctors," he mused, pulling a chair from behind him to sit in front of me. "Any particular reason why? Here, open for me."

I glowered at him, at the thermometer he had sitting in front of my mouth, before I opened my mouth and folded my arms in displeasure. After a few minutes, it pinged and he hummed at the results making a note of them on the clipboard.

"We aren't so bad, see," he said as he lifted a light to my eyes, "do you want to explain to me what happened?"

I exhaled loudly, rolling my eyes as the story rushed through me, being careful to leave out the bit about who in fact kidnapped me. If Drake was linked to Luca and if he thought he was bringing me to Luca on good faith, I didn't want to bring that piece of the puzzle to the board yet. Drake didn't even come back with us when we walked back to the pack, so there was definitely something I was missing about that man.

"And you remember nothing about your kidnapper?" the doctor asked.

I shook my head. "No, nothing. My brother found me as I was escaping."

"Fortune has favored you," he calmly asserted. After conducting a few additional tests, he gracefully stood from his seat. "Alpha, it appears that Luna is in good health. Based on my observations, there are no indications of a concussion or any physical injuries. I see no reason for her to stay longer than she needs to. However, should she experience any distress, I'm at her service for a house call."

Haden gave a nod. "Thank you, Jeffery."

Once the doctor left, Haden moved towards me as I rose from the bed, feeling the relief wash over me at the fact that I didn't have to stay here. I was looking forward to catching up with Luca, making up for all the time that we missed together, and I needed to find out how Rebecca was doing.