2. 𝔻𝕚𝕟𝕟𝕖𝕣

~ 2.1k words ~

"Wonderful! Exceptional work, Miss Wayne!" Alfred exclaimed as he looked over my math test answers.

"You got every question right! I'm very proud of you." He said as he smiled down at me, placing his free hand on my shoulder while the other held my math test.

"Thank you, Alfred." I replied, returning the same genuine smile he had on his face.

Even though I have been homeschooled all my life, Alfred always managed to make me feel like a normal student. He never went easy on me when it came to all the tests he made for me.

I never got a proper answer as to why I must be homeschooled, from either Alfred or my father. Yet deep down I've always known the true answer. Gotham is a very dangerous place, the streets are full of crime and violence, while the GCPD is full of corruption.

I remember the time Alfred sat me down in the living room, I had just asked why father looked so depressed that day. Alfred told me it was his father's birthday.

He then proceeded to tell me the story of how my grandparents died and how it changed my father's life forever. He was just a young boy when they were shot and killed right before his eyes in a dark ally behind the theaters.

I know that many citizens of Gotham despise my father and his company. The company he one day wants me to take over, Wayne Enterpises. Honestly, taking over the company is not something I want to do. I never told anyone, not even Alfred. I guess I'm just afraid of disappointing them.

"I um- I talked to your father last night." he said in a low voice. My smile quickly disappeared and I turned my gaze down to my desk.

"Mm really? What were you talking about?" I asked, making sure I didn't sound anywhere near happy.

"Well, I asked him if he was thinking of joining us for dinner this evening." He said, while starting to clean my desk. I stand up and walk over to the black leather couch behind me. I lay down on the couch with a sigh as I grab a pillow for my head to rest on.

"And what did he say?" I ask, while staring at the pitch black ceiling above me. I held no hope in my fathers presence during dinner. But then Alfred's response was something I definetly did not expect.

"I am happy to inform you that Master Wayne will in fact be joining us for dinner." Alfred stated with a soft grin.

My eyes widened as I immediatly sat up, "Wait what? He will?" I started. At first I was exited by these news, but then I started overthinking, just like I always do. Its one of my bad habits I guess.

"But.. how can we be so sure?" I started, making Alfred furrow his brows. "What if he gets held up by work again, or what if he gets a 'fever'." I say, remebering the time he skipped hanging out with me because he was sick, when he clearly wasn't.

I know its just a meaningless dinner but knowing my father has leid repidiatly in irder to skip it makes my heart ache. So for me, a genuine dinner with my father is all it takes to make my life just a little brighter.

Alfred sighs, walking over to where I sat, he cupped my face in his warm hands as he looked down at me with comforting eyes.

"I assure you miss Wayne, your father would love nothing more than to have a normal dinner, with you." Alfred said in a soft but at the same time stern voice to convince me.