PROLOGUE: Within the Gates

-------------------AGE 10-------------------

"Go back home, Bo. We don't want you following us."

Four boys were crammed into the gateway between Ms. Leer's home for boys and a back alley. The only thing that stood between the four boys and freedom was Bowan, a younger boy, who had followed them. He had latched onto them and shadowed them like a ghost.

"I don't think he can understand what we're saying. He's a moron," one of the boys offered. There was a wave of laughter as the four boys stared down at their unwanted guest.

"If we run we might be able to lose him through the forest." One of the boys offered a way out that did not result in violence.

James, the ring leader, looked at Bo with contempt. There was something odd about Bowan. He was always in some darkened corner watching. That was the only reason he had even known to follow them out.

When Bowan had been admitted into the orphanage, James had overheard the matrons talking about the boy. Some horrible stories that he had kept to himself until the perfect moment. Today was that moment. 

"He's not coming with us. " James said. His eyes narrowed at Bo. "I don't want people to think we are friends with a coward."

"I am n-n-not a c-coward." Bo broke his silence at last.

"You're a waste of time. We know it. The demon who killed your mom knew it. That's why he let you live. It was three years ago and you still to scared to t-t-t-talk" James said, mocking his stutter with convulsing arm movements.

"Am n-not!"

James pushed the others out into the alley and Bo remained in place at the gate. "Prove it then." He said with one last twisted grin directed towards the boy. They disappeared out of sight. Bo stepped out into the alley alone with a new purpose. He was no coward.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Bowan made it to the edge of town where the forest met the most dangerous place on earth. the Demon's Gate.

The metal bars separated the known from the unknown. The Gate was home to the most dangerous prisoners of war, demons.

Bo stood as close to the gate as he could stomach. The wrought iron fencing towered over him and the trees stood in the distance out of reach. That was his proof. Silver leaves from the Demon's Gate would prove he was not a coward.

He walked up the fence, looking for an entrance point. The forest was deep and full of shadows. The mind plays tricks and imagines horrific beasts in the dark corners. The iron bars were sharpened to a deadly point. Entering the Demon's Gate would be impossible if it were not for the massive tree with branches reaching across the Gate. Bowan climbed the tree easily enough and then inched across the outstretched branch towards the gate. Adrenaline built up in him and the tree swaying with every movement he made.

He had almost crossed the sharpened bars when a girl appeared underneath him. His heart jumped in his chest and he jerked backward, losing balance. His foot slipped resulting in half of his body dangling off the branch. 

"Watch out!" The girl shouted beneath him.

Bo was slipping. He was swinging his legs desperately trying to get a hold of the branch to keep from falling to the demon girl below. His heart rate was wild. His head was buried into the tree branch and he was holding on for dear life. 

He only saw her for a brief moment. Her hair was loose and wild like black consuming tentacles reaching towards him. Her teeth were sharpened to a razor point and her eyes were black as night. She was terrifying.