Chapter 37

My eyes briefly meet Greyson's as Bentley reaches out for him. "Dada dada," Bentley exclaims with excitement.

Greyson gently takes Bentley into his arms, a smile spreading across his face. "Hey there, little man. Look how big you're getting." He gives our son a warm hug before glancing at me. "Merry Christmas, Mer. It's good to see you."

"Thanks, you too," I reply, keeping my response simple. "Bentley has been asking about you a lot lately. He really misses you."

Greyson's expression softens as he holds Bentley on his lap, finding a seat on the nearby couch. I join them, taking a seat beside them.

"How's work going?" Greyson asks, his tone sincere.

"It's good. Actually..." I pause, taking a deep breath to steady myself. "I've started seeing someone from work."

Greyson's eyes reflect a mixture of emotions, but he manages to force a smile. "What's he like?"

"His name is Levi. His dad owns the shelter. He's a really sweet guy, and he's great with Bentley too," I explain, my voice trailing off uncertainly.

Greyson's gaze softens further, his eyes searching mine. "Are you happy?"

I pause for a moment, contemplating his question. "Yes, I am happy." In most aspects of my life, I've found contentment. But deep down, I don't think I'll ever fully move on from Greyson. And I believe he feels the same way about me.

"That's what truly matters," he unexpectedly utters, catching me off guard. "I can't blame you for not waiting... Four years is an eternity." His pained tone echoes in my ears.

"Grey... I did want to, but I don't think I can bring myself to trust you again," I respond with unfiltered honesty.

"It's alright, there's no need for explanations. I fucked up, and I'm fully aware of it," he admits.

As our visit continues, we focus on Bentley, discussing every little milestone he has achieved. Reluctantly, I agree to return in a few weeks for another visit. With Bentley peacefully sleeping in his car seat at the back, I drive away from the prison, unable to contain the tears streaming down my face. Damn you, Greyson, for destroying our family...

The next day is Christmas Eve, but my excitement is lacking. I put on a forced smile for Bentley, but it feels unfair that we can't celebrate Christmas as a complete family like we did last year.

Bentley and I are sound asleep when suddenly, Alex, Jordan, Jessica, and Lexi burst into my room, lightly jumping on my bed. "Wake up!" Alex exclaims. "You're going to miss Friendsmas."

Confused and groggy, I rub my eyes and ask, "Alex, what are you talking about?"

"Friendsmas. Since Greyson is in prison, we thought you might appreciate having a larger support system during the holidays," he explains, his smile warm and genuine. Grateful, I can't help but return the smile and wrap my arms around his neck. "Thank you guys, it means a lot to me."

I gently wake Bentley from his crib and we all head downstairs to join my mother and Brandon, ready to embrace the holiday festivities together.

The day passes quickly and we gather in the living room, the twinkling lights on the Christmas tree illuminate the room with a cozy glow. The scent of freshly baked cookies fills the air, courtesy of my mom's holiday baking spree. Bentley is in awe of the colorful ornaments, reaching out to touch them with his tiny hands.

Jordan approaches me, a mischievous twinkle in her eyes. "Hey, let's start a Christmas Eve tradition. How about we each share our favorite holiday memory?"

I nod, liking the idea. "Sounds perfect. Who wants to go first?"

Alex raises his hand eagerly. "I'll start! My favorite memory is from when we were kids. We used to stay up all night on Christmas Eve, waiting for Santa Claus. We'd sneak downstairs and peek into the living room to see if we could catch a glimpse of him."

Jordan chuckles. "Yeah, and one year, we actually thought we heard reindeer on the roof. Turns out, it was just Dad stomping around in boots."

Laughter fills the room, and I can't help but feel a warmth spreading through my heart. My mother chimes in, her voice filled with nostalgia. "One of my favorite memories was when we went ice skating in the park. We held hands and skated in circles, creating our own little winter wonderland."

Brandon clears his throat, a hint of sentimentality in his tone. "For me, it was the year that Mercedes and I waited under the tree all night, with our BB guns pointed at the front door so we could rob Santa and take all his gifts for ourselves."

I feel a lump forming in my throat as I recall that memory from our childhood. . Bentley babbles happily from my lap, seemingly understanding the joyous atmosphere.

As we continue sharing memories, we realize that the spirit of togetherness and love has always been the true essence of Christmas for our family. Despite the challenges we have faced, we have always managed to find strength in each other.

With tears of happiness glistening in my eyes, I hug Bentley tightly and look at my extended family gathered around. "Thank you, guys. This Friendsmas has truly reminded me of the importance of love and unity. No matter what, at least I have friends and family."

We ended the holiday with laughs and friendship, making new memories. Brandon and I snuck downstairs with all the presents late at night and put them beneath the tree. We also ate all the milk and cookies. Even though Bentley is too young to understand, it was still fun getting to play Santa Claus.