The Woods

The eldest prince of Hevelta, Sigurd, was a young boy, only 6, but rather curious. He often wandered around the royal grounds with his keeper when he was not learning. On that particular day, Sigurd walked the edges of the grounds hoping to see wild animals on the other side of the fence. The royal grounds were a very large expanse of land, measuring around 80 acres, though not exactly square. There was a wood area that lead into a forest close to east wing of the castle. That's where Sigurd liked to go the most.

From time to time, he would see animals, but only ever small ones. Squirrels, mice, or hare. On very rare occasions, when his keeper, Einar, would let him roam further north along the fence, he would see a moose and quietly gasp with glee at each movement the large animal made. He and Einar would watch the moose carefully and quietly, making sure not to move a muscle, not even a half step, for fear of the snow, grass, or leaves beneath them making a sound. Sigurd had a dream, though. It was always his dream to see a bear with her cubs out there. He made Einar aware, so maybe he would keep a lookout as well. The pair went out daily for their walks desperately holding on to that small dream, although bears didn't often wander this far north, let alone with cubs.

Einar knew there was a very slim chance of them encountering a bear across the fence, but it warmed his heart to see a small child so excited about something so seemingly simple. The bars were made of thick caste iron, with gaps between them only big enough to fit a determined medium sized dog through them, so there would be no danger to the boy had they actually come across a bear. Besides, being as close to the city as they were would ward off the bears even if they did come to the area, he thought.

"Einar! I can feel it! Today will be the day. I am sure of it." The boy exclaimed hurrying through the first fresh snowfall of the season toward the fence a mile away.  His small legs made it difficult to trudge through but he didn't care. He needed to see that bear! 'Who knows?' Einar thought. 'Maybe one day.'

Giving him little hope, Einar replied, "Well, if you are sure, then it must be the day. It is very late in the autumn season for bears to be out, Sigurd, but if you say it is to be, then I will pray to the gods that it will be so." He did to. Einar said a small prayer to the god, Odin, in hopes that his dream would come true soon. Einar enjoyed his walks with Sigurd, but as the colder months drew near, it would be dreadful to walk through ice to see a bear that would not be there, but instead be in hibernation. The boy had faith that was not able to be swayed when it came to the impossible or the unlikely.

"Einar," Sigurd stated, to get his attention.

"Sigurd?" Einar replied.

"Do you think my parents will have more siblings for me? I only have one sister, and I really would like to have a brother." His sister was two years old now, but in truth, Einar did not know if the king and queen intended to have more children. As many heirs as possible is the usual approach, but the queen did not have favorable pregnancies either time, so no one would be surprised if they did not have more.

"Honestly, Sigurd, I am not sure. Your mother had a difficult time with your sister. Don't you remember?"

"I remember. It was a scary time, especially the night when Mama brought Hedda out, but I knew Mama would be okay with Papa beside her. He would never let anything hurt her." He replied so matter-of-fact. He was too little to understand the dangers of pregnancy and childbirth so Einar just let him continue on about all the fun he could have with a sibling.

So far, on the walk, Einar and Sigurd had come across a few hare, and two large ravens fighting over a squirrel. The two laughed at the ravens. Ravens had such funny personalities. Their little hops always had Sigurd in stitches.

Suddenly Einar heard a small cry. He looked at Sigurd; Sigurd looked back. The boy hurled himself through the snow along the fence, trying to reach the sound as fast as he could. Einar ran after him, moving much easier through the snow, catchin him by the hood of his coat and lifting him from the ground into his arms.