Chapter One: The Deviant Crystals

AN: Remember the string of chapters with no TW? THAT STREAK IS BROKEN NOW BOIS

TW: Blood, Death, Body Horror

     The room was filled with a harsh, unnatural light, illuminating several charts and boards pinned along the snowy white walls. The charts had ancient symbols written on the parchment, while the boards were covered with copious amounts of research and information. On the far side of the room, a long table was nestled, beakers, flasks, tubes, and more equipment strewn across its surface.

     A book was on a smaller table. Its edges were worn, some pages singed, revealing the age of the parchment. It was opened midway, the paper marked with depictions of crystals.

     On the adjacent wall, three people were strapped to tables, scalpels and other sharp utensils located on a stand nearby.

     SSundee stood at the table, his white lab coat filled with utensils in his pockets. His black belt contained a weapon's sheath. He tapped his foot against the tile, his gaze trailing to a metal pot. Inside it, a geode glistened, its ebony shell glittering in the light.

     He turned back to the book, skimming the pages for the paragraph he'd read earlier.

     Little is known about these insidious crystals, save the energy lurking aro-

     One of the priso- er- permanent residents pleaded with a shaky voice, "Pl-please let me go."

     SSundee gritted his teeth. That one was always complaining about something. "Be. Quiet. Or I'll find your family and set them aflame in front of you."

     The noise faded, and he returned to his work.

     Little is known about these insidious crystals, save the energy lurking around th-

     "Why did you take us?"

     SSundee grabbed a knife from the sheath at his waist and, whirling, hurled it across the room. The dagger plunged into the captive's throat. Their scream was coupled by a horrific gurgling as blood bubbled and spewed from the wound. The walls were sprayed red as the captive thrashed about, their muscles contracting as they tried to claw at the knife in their neck.

     Then, slowly, their movements halted. Their mouth was transfixed in a silent scream.

     SSundee fixed the other two with a steeled glare. "Does anyone else have any questions?"

     Wide, terrified eyes set on bodies shaking with horror.

     But they were silent.

     Little is known about these insidious crystals, save the energy lurking around them. Named by their discoverer due to the effects they gave woodland creatures, they were named Deviant Crystals. What exactly these effects were, however, is unknown, as the researcher and his papers vanished long ago, with only colleagues left to scramble to figure out the missing pieces.

     He drummed a finger against the table. Legends swarmed around these crystals like moths to a flame- some telling tales of heroes rising from the ashes, others warning against their power through corrupted humans bent to the crystals' will.

     He, however, wanted something far different. While no one could quite agree what they could do, and many of the legends were speculative at best and held no factual basis, everyone could agree on one thing.

     These crystals held immense power. Power that he could use.

     Power that he could wield.